Subject: Full Agenda for 3/30 WSRM Teleconference

The full agenda, is attached.

Remember that today is dayllight savings time in england, but not yet in
the US.

Title: Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call – May 06, 2003

Full Agenda WSRM TC Conference Call – Mar 30, 2004

The meeting of the WSRM TC took place by teleconference
Tuesday, March 30 2004, from 5:30 to 6:45 PM Eastern Standard Time
(UTC - 5)

Conference call Dial-in number : Toll number (only): 1-512-225-3050 Participant code: 89772

0         Draft Agenda:

Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call

1 Roll Call

2 Minutes Discussion

2.1 Appointment of Minute Taker

2.2 Approval of previous meeting minutes –

3 Discussions of Issues and editorial comments

4 Discussion of FAQ for WS-Reliability

5 Discussion of New Orleans F2F

??? approved

1         Roll Call

Attendance:

 Meeting ?? quorate.

2         Minutes Discussion

2.1      Appointment of Minute Taker

Tom Rutt will take minutes.

??? will serve to record issue resolutions.

2.2      Approval of previous meeting minutes

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/6146/MinutesWSRMTC032304.htm

xx  moved to accept the Mar 23 minutes. yy  seconded.

?? opposition, 3/02  minutes ??approved.

3         Discussion of Issues and editorial Comments

3.1      Sunil Homework

·  Chapter 5 review comments based on WD 0.992
From Sunil Kunisetty <sunil.kunisetty@oracle.com> on
30 Mar 2004 19:51:00 -0000

From Email above:

Technical (need discussion on the call):

 The only technical issue I see here is wrt to Group Closing. On lines 1096 & 1098,

 we say that  if a message is received after the closing of a grup, with the same

 group ID as the closed group, it MAY be considered by the Receiver as belonging

 to a new group. Infact on line 1096 it says "would be handled as a new group ..".

 I see one issue with this. What if the old group is closed but not removed (i.e.

 the state is still in the persistence store because the maxGroupExpiryTime

 didn't expire or so) and new message arrives with the same group Id. In

 that cases there will be 2 groups with the same groupId which breaks the

 groupId uniqueness rule.

 So we have to say that the new message is considered as a new group only

 if the old group is removed from both Sender and Receiver RMP persistence

 stores.

 Editorial:

 1) While mostly we use the words Sender or Receiver RMP,   there are occurrences of Sending and Receiving RMP terms. We need to be consistent.

 2)  The lines 1122-1125 needs rewording.

       Suggested wordings are:

        "These two items can be considered as Group Termination parameters that

          control the persistence of the group data. The corresponding message

          header attributes are groupExpiryTime and groupMaxIdleDuration respectively".

 3) Line 1135: We don't have InvalidGroupParameter fault. It should be replaced with  InvalidMessageParameters fault.

 4) Line 1136: Uppercase MUST

 5) Line 1148: Lowercase 'c' in criteria

 6) Line 1181: Add the following at the end of the sentence.

        The group had either groupExpiryTime or GroupMaxIdleDuration specified,   but not both.

 7) Line 1270: Reword as following:

        Guaranteed Delivery will be most commonly used for One-way messages as the  Sender does not know the status of the message delivery otherwise.

 8) Line 1277: Uppercase P in Poll

 9) Line 1278: Replace is with has as in "for a message it has to inquire".

10) Line 1279: Replace acknowledgement with RM Reply

11) Line 1280: Replace acknowledgements with RM Replies

 -Sunil

3.2      Other Issues

4         Frequently Asked Questions:

·  Initial list of WSRM FAQs
From Tom Rutt <tom@coastin.com> on 24 Mar 2004 00:18:43 -0000

From email above:

What is the need for this specification?

As Web Services (WS) start to be deployed across enterprise boundaries and for collaborative e-business and e-transaction scenarios, message reliability becomes a critical issue.   This is because communications over the Internet (and Intranets) is inherently unreliable, as usage of the “transport protocols” (HTTP, SMTP, and JMS) admit conditions which do not offer guaranteed or ordered delivery.  Yet WS messages need be delivered to the ultimate receiver, even in the presence of component, system, or network failures.  If a message can’t be reliably delivered, then the user must be so informed.

What are the reliability features supported by the WS-Reliability specification?

A] Guaranteed delivery to the user or Application entity (the message MUST be persisted (i.e. stored in non volatile memory) in the sender Reliable Messaging Processor (RMP), until delivery to the ultimate receiver has been acknowledged.

B] Duplicate elimination - Delivery at most once -with duplicates detected and eliminated by the RMP receiver,

C] Guaranteed message ordering - when delivered by the RMP receiver to the user, the messages are properly sequenced.  The problem arises when messages are received out of sequence or acknowledgements are lost.  The solution is for the RMP transmitter to retransmit unacknowledged messages (after a time-out), and for the RMP receiver to re-order received out of sequence messages so that they are properly delivered to the user (e.g. Application entity)

How does the WS-Reliability protocol relate to WSDL operation types?

The WS-Reliability protocol defines a reliable messaging request header, and a reliable messaging response header.   There are three reliable messaging reply patterns which may be used with WS-Reliability:

·        Response RM-Reply Pattern: the outbound Reliable Message is sent in a request of the underlying protocol and the RM-Reply is sent in the response message of the underlying protocol that corresponds to the request.

·        Callback RM-Reply Pattern: the RM-Reply of a previous message is contained in an

·        underlying protocol request of a second request/response exchange (or a second one-way

·        message).

·        Polling RM-Reply Pattern: a second underlying protocol request is issued to the

·        receiver of a previous message, in order to obtain a RM-Reply. The RM-Reply can be either contained in the underlying protocol response to this request or in a separate underlying request from the receiver to the sender. This polling pattern is generally expected to be used in situations where it is inappropriate for the sender of reliable messages to receive underlying protocol requests (behind the firewall cases) or to avoid resending bulk messages often.

What is the difference between the WSRM TC’s WS-Reliability specification and the ws-reliable Messaging specification.

>> WS-Reliability is being developed within the OASIS open process, and our working draft, related documents and TC archives are all accessible
to the public. We invite public review and comment on this work.

>> WS-Reliable Messaging is a proprietary specification being developed  privately at this time by a group of vendors. As the status of the current version of WS-Reliable Messaging is not publicly known, we advise those with specific questions on WS-Reliable Messaging to contact its developers.

Who is participating in the OASIS WSRM TC and how often do they meet?

A variety of companies are active in the WSRM TC. The members include:

Booz Allen Hamilton, BT, Cyclone Commerce, Fujitsu (3), Hewlett-Packard,

Hitachi(3), NEC Corporation(2), Novell, Oracle (3), SAP, See Beyond, SUN

Micro (2), University of Hong Kong. There are also many observers.

Membership in OASIS is required to participate in the WSRM TC. Telecon

meetings are held weekly and face-to-face meetings are held about every

two or three months.

When will the WS Reliability spec be completed and what is it based on?

Agreement was reached in Nov 2003 on a committee draft spec (v0.52),

which was implemented in a demo at the Philadelphia XML Conference, in

Deceber 2003. The TC has recently voted on a committee draft spec

(v.0.992) which is out for public review, to complete on April 19, 2004.

Note that the spec is based on Requirements issues that have been

compiled for the committee’s internal use (over 100 requirements have

been identified).

- An OASIS standard could be approved in the 2nd Quarter of 2004, after

the public review.

Who participated in the demo of WS Reliability?

Fujitsu, Hitachi, NEC, Oracle, and SUN Micro. The demo was based on

v0.52 of the spec.

Who will benefit from the completed WS Reliability spec?

• WS middleware companies that implement the spec will benefit because

it will be universally interoperable. Initial testing can be done with

any company that implements it. The license to implement the spec is

royalty free.

• Application program developers will also benefit, as their web based

applications will be reliable and robust, operating over WS Reliability

middleware. Using the implemented middleware will also be royalty free.

• WS End users will benefit in accordance with their application

requirements. For example, “at most once delivery” implies duplicate

elimination. This is important for placing orders, banking transactions,

and insurance claims processing. If an end user is sending a Purchase

Order, for example, he wants to know it actually arrived at the

destination and it arrived exactly once (not multiple times). This is

particularly vital for financial applications.

·  RE: [wsrm] Candidate Frequently Asked Questions for the OASIS website
·  Re: [wsrm] Candidate Frequently Asked Questions for the OASIS website
From "Alan Weissberger" <ajwdct@technologist.com> on 24 Mar 2004 21:49:39 -0000

·  Re: [wsrm] Candidate Frequently Asked Questions for the OASIS website
From "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com> on 24 Mar 2004 13:48:47 -0000

From above emails:

ebMS 2.0/2.1 has it’s own reliability mechanisms.

ebMS 3 has been requested to align itself with the growing web services stack, so I guess they’ll be looking at WSS and WS-R

Chris Hipson

Web Service Technology Consultant