Subject: Prelim Minutes of WSRM TC call 4/20/2004

The prelim minutes are attached.

Please provide any corrections before friday of this week.

Tom Rutt
WSRM Chair

Title: Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call – May 06, 2003

Preliminary Minutes of WSRM TC Conference Call – Apr 20, 2004

The meeting of the WSRM TC took place by teleconference
Tuesday, April 20, 2004, from 5:30 to 6:45 PM Eastern Standard Time
(UTC - 5)

0         Draft Agenda:

Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call

1 Roll Call

2 Minutes Discussion

2.1 Appointment of Minute Taker

2.2 Approval of previous meeting minutes –

3 Status of Action Items

4 Discussions of Issues and editorial comments

5 Discussion of FAQ for WS-Reliability

Agenda approved

1         Roll Call

Attendance:

First Name

Last Name

Email

Role

Company

Voting Level

Joseph

Chiusano

chiusano_joseph@bah.com

Member

Booz Allen Hamilton

1

Jacques

Durand

jdurand@us.fujitsu.com

Member

Fujitsu

1

Kazunori

Iwasa

kiwasa@jp.fujitsu.com

Secretary

Fujitsu

1

Tom

Rutt

tom@coastin.com

TC Chair

Fujitsu

1

Jishnu

Mukerji

jishnu@hp.com

Member

Hewlett-Packard

1

Robert

Freund

bob.freund@hitachisoftware.com

Member

Hitachi

1

Eisaku

Nishiyama

nishiy_e@itg.hitachi.co.jp

Member

Hitachi

1

Nobuyuki

Yamamoto

no_yama@bisd.hitachi.co.jp

Member

Hitachi

1

John

Fuller

jfuller@wernervas.com

Observer

Individual

Junichi

Tatemura

tatemura@sv.nec-labs.com

Member

NEC Corporation

1

Alan

Weissberger

ajwdct@technologist.com

Member

NEC Corporation

1

Mark

Peel

mpeel@novell.com

Member

Novell

1

Anish

Karmarkar

Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com

Member

Oracle

1

Sunil

Kunisetty

Sunil.Kunisetty@oracle.com

Secretary

Oracle

1

jeff

mischkinsky

jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com

Member

Oracle

1

marc

goodner

marc.andrue.goodner@sap.com

Secretary

SAP

1

Pete

Wenzel

pete@seebeyond.com

Member

SeeBeyond

1

Doug

Bunting

doug.bunting@Sun.com

Secretary

Sun Microsystems

1

Tony

Graham

Tony.Graham@Sun.com

Member

Sun Microsystems

1

Chi-Yuen

Ng

cyng@csis.hku.hk

Member

University of Hong Kong

1

 Meeting is quorate.

2         Minutes Discussion

2.1      Appointment of Minute Taker

Tom Rutt will take minutes.

Minutes will serve to record issue resolutions.

2.1      Approval of previous meeting minutes

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/6453/MinutesWSRMTC041304.htm

Bob Freund moved to approve 4/13 minutes.  Alan seconded.

No Opposition, Minutes 4/13 are approved

3         Status of Action Items

3.1      Action 032304-2 – (Sunil & Jacques) Completed – 4/20/04

Sunil and Jacques will provide a proposal on retry parameters to the
group before the end of the public review period. –

· Action 032304-2 proposal
From Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> on
20 Apr 2004 18:55:19 -0000

to discuss with issues

3.2      Action 033004-3 – (Jacques) Pending

Jacques took action item to propose new FAQ text for the ws-reliability
features. - open

3.3      Action 033004-4 – (Mark G) closed 4/20

Why does the spec have a different name than the TC?

Marc G agreed to propose a new question with new answer to clarify the
matter. –

Action 033004-4
From "Goodner, Marc Andrue" <marc.andrue.goodner@sap.com> on
20 Apr 2004 20:59:40 -0000

3.4      Action 033004-5 – (Jacques) closed 4/20

Jacques took action to clearly state what the relation with ebMS is. He
agreed to draft a question with an answer. – completed

Action 041304-1 , Action 033004-5
From Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> on
20 Apr 2004 19:33:28 -0000

To discuss with Faq discussion

3.5      Action 033004-6 – (Tom) Pending

Need a general question on how can ws reliability be used with other ws
reliability protocols. Answer : we design it as orthogonal, to work with any other ws- reliability protocol. An example on why we have a reply to element of our own would help.

Tom Rutt agreed to send a suggested question and proposal out. - open

3.6      Action editors-1 – (Marc and Doug) Pending

Marc G and Doug B to updated issues list to reflect agreements in CD
.992. - open

3.7      Action 041304-1 – (Jacques) Completed 4/14/04

- Jacques will send an email to initiate email discussion on poll
response for fault conditions

·  treatment of aborted out-of-order seq
From Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> on
14 Apr 2004 00:15:05 -0000

will discuss with issues

3.8      Action 041304-2 – (Iwasa) Needs Discussion – 4/20

- Iwasa to action to consolidate all the agreed comments in text with
change bars against CD .992. A list indicating which meeting minutes’
agreed changes were applied should also be included.

·  Groups - UpdatesListFromCD10Mar2004-0.992.pdf uploaded
From kiwasa@jp.fujitsu.com on
20 Apr 2004 14:41:05 -0000

·  Groups - WS-Reliability-2004-04-19.pdf uploaded
From kiwasa@jp.fujitsu.com on
20 Apr 2004 14:40:08 -0000

Needs for Discussion from above:

March 3,2004(WD0.99)

This was updated with minutes at: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/email/archives/200403/msg00035.html

except for Minutes 4.4 Rel119, which requires discussion.

January14,2004(WD0.86):

This was updated for comments at : http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/wsrm/200401/msg00010.html

except for:

- More faults for Tables1

(Need to list up all faults)

- Section2.4 Line#259 in Spec20040106(Ver0.85): It should read "after the message has been processed and delivered to the "next processing layer".

(Need to confirm with TC for this change, since the current text was approved one.)

- Figure1,2,and3 “New processor Entity”

(Want to confirm with TC member)

-New terminologies for “Group Termination”, “Removal”, “Complete”, and others.

(Needs definitions)

Discuss these at the face to face meeting.

Iwasa has two or three updates remaining.  Small editorial ones.

It was agreed he should post these as comments to the list, to be discussed at the F2F.  He will not produce another draft before the F2F meeting.

3.9      Action 04304-3 – (Sunil) completed – 4/20

Sunil took action to consolidate all agreed comments on Schema.

· Groups - ws-reliability-soap12-2004-04-20.xsd uploaded
From Sunil.Kunisetty@oracle.com on
20 Apr 2004 16:27:11 -0000

·  Groups - ws-reliability-2004-04-20.xsd uploaded
From Sunil.Kunisetty@oracle.com on
20 Apr 2004 16:26:28 -0000

4         Discussion of Issues and editorial Comments

4.1      Retry parameters

· Action 032304-2 proposal
From Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> on
20 Apr 2004 18:55:19 -0000

Title: Action 032304-2 proposal

Action 032304-2 proposal (from Sunil / Jacques)

- Issue 1: RetryMaxTimes and RetryTimeInterval are really meaningful only

for Callback reply pattern. The spec is silent on this limitation.

For Poll reply patttern, the resending effort can be associated with the polling:

The spec is silent on the resending policy in that case.

- Issue 2: RetryMaxTimes and RetryTimeInterval have a precise interpretation, that actually

is just one way to do the resending effort. Other ways should not be excluded.

- Issue 3: there is no indication of how often a Poll request will be sent.

Yet this should be controlled by the RMP (and remain transparent to the application).

A parameter to control this (time period, or number of messages, or both) need be defined.

Proposal Outline:

------------------

1- RM Agreement items can be either Required / optional :

Update section 1 to reflect that:

- some RM Agrement Items are "required" by this specification:

an implementation must be able to represent them and their value.

They are critical to the specified reliability mechanisms:

GuaranteedDelivery, NoDuplicateDelivery, OrderedDelivery, GroupMaxIdleDuration

GroupExpiryTime, ExpiryTime, ReplyPattern

- Some RM Agrement Items are "optional" for this specification:

Two communicating parties do not have to both agree on using them.

An implementation may represent them and use them to locally control the execution of reliability features:

RetryMaxTimes, RetryTimeInterval, PollFrequency

2- Introduce PollFrequency optional agreement item, as a way to control the frequency of polling.

3- update Section 3.1 (guaranteed delivery) to stress the optionality of

agreement items that control resending, and cover all reply patterns.

E.g. For each poll, after looking at the Poll response, the RMP will resend all messages that have not been acknowledged or faulted. Poll frequency is also controlled.

4- Mention that some agreement items are set by business partners, some

are intended to be set more dynamically, depending on network conditions, messaging load.

Jacques summarized that the existing resend policy needs to be relaxed.

The spec is currently unclear on when the polling will occur.

Tom asked why the picked poll frequency rather than PollingTimeInterval.

Tom asked what it means to have three optional parameters in the RM-agreement?

Jacques: It can be taken as a guideline on how to implement reliability procedure.  I cannot make a strong case for leaving them in.

Sunil: the question is why to we even need to define the three parameters.

Jacques: we need to say that resending is expected.  We cannot be prescriptive here, it must remain optional.

Tom: Another parameter could be time between callbacks, which we do not have in the spec.

Doug: I thought we were leaving it up to the two parties involved to determine such things.

Doug: my opinion is that anything that could be interpreted to imply that other algorithms are not allowed (e.g., backoff) is a negative thing.

Jacques: We could keep what we have as optional, or to remove it.  If they are optional, we cannot make  a clear case to keep them in.

Anyone feel strongly to keep them in.

Alan, could put them into an annex.  Or the implementers guide document.

Jacques moved to remove the mention of retry max times or retry interval parms, doug seconded.

No opposition, motion passes.

These also need to be applied to appendix A.

Ø Action: Jacques will propose the text changes to the document to remove retry parameters

4.2      Comments from XMLP WG thru Pete Wenzel

·  XMLP WG Comments on WS-Reliability CD-0.992
From Pete Wenzel <pete@seebeyond.com> on
19 Apr 2004 22:46:52 -0000

Subject: XMLP WG Comments on WS-Reliability CD-0.992

I am submitting the following comments regarding WS-Reliability

CD-0.992 on behalf of the W3C XML Protocol Workgroup.

1. Examples throughout the specification are inconsistent with its

normative reference to SOAP 1.2 (Line 1547) and non-normative

reference to SOAP 1.1 (Line 1573).  The examples should conform to

a normative syntax.

This was also noted by Tony in an email to the list.

Soap 1.1 is listed as non normative.

We could make soap 1.1 reference normative.

General Agreement: to make both soap 1.1 and soap 1.2 references normative.

Defer final decision:

Sunil decided to make the reference non-normative.  Should soap 1.1 be a normative

Doug: I agree that it is normative, however it is a w3C note.

Tom: how about pointing at the WS-I profile for our SOAP requirements.

Jeff: the schema references are to the note.  I am unclear on the meaning of normative vs non normative.

Doug: normative means that it required to understand and interpret what is in the rest of the spec.  In this case Soap 1.1 is required to interpret WS-Reliability.  I agree with the XMLP working group on this.

Jeff M: Why to we have to distinguish the normative from non-normative references.

Pete W: the way the xmlp group distinguishes it is that non-normative reference are not directly relied upon.  Perhaps EBMS and soap with attachments could be non-normative.

Jeff M: get rid of the two reference types.

Alan: other groups determine whether each is normative.

Doug: there is no OASIS policy in this area.

Jeff M: if we do not disobey the oasis policy why keep the distinction.

Pete: the non normative references I do not have to look at.

Doug: removing the distinction would satisfy the point of the XMLP comment.

Tom: would collapsing all reference into one section satisfy the XMLP concern.

Jeff Moved to collapse the two references into one, Iwasa seconded.  Call it References.

Pete W: I am uncomfortable with this personally,  I find having the two categories there, with SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2 as normative.

Jeff: I could live with this but it raises questions where you do not have to raise them.

Jeff: there is an IPR discussion going on the meaning of normative.

Doug: would the alternative proposal to leave the distinction as it is, but move soap 1.1 and wsdl 1.1 and maybe xml schema into normative references.  If  so, I would also move RFC2822 into non normative.

Pete: that with your text on the meaning of normative would help this.

Doug: I have trouble in trying to define somewhat widely used terms.

No objection to unanimous consent, motion passes.

Doug: the only normative reference that should move down.

Fuller: as an implementer I would like to intuit from the category of the reference.  I tend to intuit normative as mandatory for use in the implementation.

Doug: then we need NOTE: we are not using Normative to mean mandatory.

No opposition to the motion.  Motion passes.

2. The relationship of Reliable Messaging Processor (Lines 278-281) to

the SOAP processing model requires definition.  (Statements that the

RMP is a "module" that exposes "submit", "notify" and "deliver"

operations directly to an application imply a layered processing

approach, which is not explicitly defined.)  Also, the SOAP term

"node" is used in several instances where possibly "RMP" is meant,

which contributes to the lack of clarity.

--Pete

What is a reliable messaging processor, with respect to the rest of the soap processor.  How is it layered with the soap processor.

There is one picture with a soap node.

Ø Action: Pete will provide an input to the F2F on the RMP / soap processing model to help resolve the XMLP WG’s concern.

4.3      Comments from Pete Wenzel

·  RE: [wsrm] Comments on WS-Reliability CD 0.992
·  Re: [wsrm] Comments on WS-Reliability CD 0.992
From Pete Wenzel <pete@seebeyond.com> on 19 Apr 2004 22:59:25 -0000

·  Re: [wsrm] Comments on WS-Reliability CD 0.992
From "Alan Weissberger" <ajwdct@technologist.com> on 19 Apr 2004 22:42:34 -0000 ·  Comments on WS-Reliability CD 0.992
From Pete Wenzel <pete@seebeyond.com> on 19 Apr 2004 19:50:03 -0000