Subject: RE: [wsrm] clarification on Respond primitive

Title: RE: [wsrm] clarification on Respond primitive

I think we need to state clearly the problem we try to solve here, as it seems
to exceed the one summarized in #3:

(A) Are we trying to guarantee the delivery of the response in an underlying  request-response MEP,
 ("Respond" invocation on receiving RMP)? (or of a complete request-response transaction?)
Which, as we have investigated long ago (study September 03), is not that simple and subject
to severe implementation limitations, not just caching. I thought we had decided to leave it
out for this release.
(note that in such case, a duplicate generated by resending should be treated differently from
a duplicate generated from network problem).

(B) Or, more modestly, are we trying to avoid some side effect of acknowledging duplicates
in underlying  request-response MEP, which translates into the receiving RMP sending back
a response (to the duplicate) that looks like a valid
message to the sending RMP (with an RM Reply, and whatever payload) but that the sending RMP
must NOT pass to its Producer ("Notify")? The safest way to do allow this filtering,
I believe, is for the RM Reply to tag the message ID in the RM Reply, as "duplicate" instead of ack.
(That is what I was suggesting, though that is more than editorial...)

NOTE:  messages produced by a COnsumer via "Respond" could still have guaranteed delivery
even if we don't solve (A). The problem lies in the underlying request-response MEP,
so we don't have to tie - in our spec - the use of "Respond" with the response leg of such an MEP.
Note also that if a Producer could be notified - e.g. by a subsequent Poll - that its request
has been well delivered (acked) even if the response is lost, that might be quite sufficient, and allow
the Producer to take appropriate action, which may vary depending on whether the request was idempotent or not.

Thx,

Jacques