Subject: Prelim minutes of aug 17 teleconf

The prelim minutes are attached

Please post any corrections to the list before friday.

Title: Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call – May 06, 2003

Preliminary Minutes WSRM TC Conference Call –August 17, 2004

The meeting of the WSRM TC  will take place by teleconference

Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004, from 5:30 to 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

1         Draft Agenda:

1 Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call

2 Roll Call

3 Minutes Discussion

3.1 Appointment of Minute Taker

3.2 Approval of previous meeting minutes –

4 Action Item Status Review

5 Discussions of unresolved comments

6 Straw Poll on whether changes from CD .992 are substantive

7 Scheduled Vote for CD (only if all comments are resolved and we are quorate, else we could initiate a Kavi 7 day ballot)

8 Scheduled Votes for further progression (only if CD is voted yes)

8.1 Vote on whether changes from CD .992 are substantive

8.2 Vote to Submit to OASIS for member vote (subject to no vote on 7.1))

8.3 Vote for second 30 day public review (subject to yes vote on 7.1)

9 Discussion of document progression and future meeting schedule

2         Roll Call

Attendance:

First Name

Last Name

Email

Role

Company

Joseph

Chiusano

chiusano_joseph@bah.com

Member

Booz Allen Hamilton

Jeff

Turpin

jturpin@cyclonecommerce.com

Member

Cyclone Commerce

Jacques

Durand

jdurand@us.fujitsu.com

Secretary

Fujitsu

Kazunori

Iwasa

kiwasa@jp.fujitsu.com

Secretary

Fujitsu

Tom

Rutt

tom@coastin.com

TC Chair

Fujitsu

Jishnu

Mukerji

jishnu@hp.com

Member

Hewlett-Packard

Robert

Freund

bob.freund@hitachisoftware.com

Member

Hitachi

Eisaku

Nishiyama

nishiy_e@itg.hitachi.co.jp

Member

Hitachi

Nobuyuki

Yamamoto

no_yama@bisd.hitachi.co.jp

Member

Hitachi

John

Fuller

jfuller@wernervas.com

Observer

Individual

Alan

Weissberger

ajwdct@technologist.com

Member

NEC Corporation

Abbie

Barbir

abbieb@nortelnetworks.com

Member

Nortel Networks

Mark

Peel

mpeel@novell.com

Secretary

Novell

Sunil

Kunisetty

Sunil.Kunisetty@oracle.com

Secretary

Oracle

Pete

Wenzel

pete@seebeyond.com

Member

SeeBeyond

Doug

Bunting

doug.bunting@Sun.com

Secretary

Sun Microsystems

Tony

Graham

Tony.Graham@Sun.com

Member

Sun Microsystems

Chi-Yuen

Ng

cyng@cs.hku.hk

Member

University of Hong Kong

 Meeting  is  quorate.

3         Minutes Discussion

3.1      Appointment of Minute Taker

Tom Rutt will take minutes.

Minutes will serve to record issue resolutions.

3.2      Approval of previous meeting minutes

The minutes of the Aug 3 teleconf are posted at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/8457/MinutesWSRMTC080304.htm

The minutes of the Aug 10 teleconf are posted at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/8739/MinutesWSRMTC081004.htm

Jeff moved to approve, Jacques seconded.

No opposition, minutes are approved.

4         Status of Action Items

4.1      Action 052503-1 (Tom Rutt) pending

Tom took an action item to complete the status column of
pre public review issues list, with correct URLs.

4.2      Action 060104-5 (Jacques) Pending

Action: Jacques, will propose further edits, on the FAQ for composability.

Still open, low priority

4.3      Action 081004-1 (Sunil) closed

Action: Editing team should propose suggested changes for soap fault codes text, with Sunil leading the effort.

Sunil provided text for the editors.

4.4      Action 081004-1 (Editor) closed

Action: editors to post next draft on Thursday, Aug 12.

Draft 1.085 Posted on Aug 13.

5         Discussion of Issues and editorial Comments

The following issues list includes items which have been resolved as of the output of the 7/6/1004 TC meeting:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/7725/PublicCommentsIsssues-070604OutputB.html

Additional issues and comments were circulated to the list for discussion.

These need to be resolved before we can vote on a next CD.

The editing team posted draft 1.085 to the server which resolved the editorial items from the 8/10 minutes, including Doug B contribution:  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/8689/WS-Reliability-2004-08-12.pdf .

5.1      Restriction of Callback and Poll Reply patterns to one way only

Doug: our spec does not talk about the response operation.  The text which has been there for a long time in section 6 is being changed.

Doug I would like to move that 1.085 is the CD.

Motion failed for lack of second.

Jacques; I have moved text around so the changes may look greater.  Section 6 for  callback and poll was only discusses with one-way operations, which did not agree with the previous table 5.2 which allowed use of callback and poll reply patterns.  The TC did not explicity approve this new restriction.  Either we could align section 2 with the restriction, which is what 1.085 does, if we agree to keep these restrictions.

What has been done to section 6.2 and 6.3 is adding the case when the reliable message may bind to http request responses when the response has a payload.  Also if a fault is part of the request response this must be explained.

The section in 4.5 has been edited to align with the requirements associated with the response reply pattern is used with callback.  Given these changes the original section 2 does not need to be changed.

I believe this is fixing an inconsistency in a way to support the previous definitions of callback and poll.  It is deterministic how the binding section has been updated.

Jeff: can Doug explain what is wrong with Jacques proposal.

Doug: a number of things are happening here.  We are muddling the request response language.  We can use a one way binding of request response at some time.  What is happening here is that we are expanding the protocol, thus producing more choices causing lack of interoperability.    Doug, we are only talking about request response at the underlying protocol level.  We are talking about soap over http as used by rmp to send messages back and forth.

Jeff: can the soap mep be request response.

Doug: at the top level there is either a consumer payload or not, based on wsdl one way or request response.

Doug: request response can be mapped to underlying layer by putting the response payload with rm reply in a callback.

Tom: this is a different wsdl binding than the traditional soap/http Post binding in the WSDL spec.

Doug: what we are trying to do here is apply restrictions to the consumer interface.

Doug: the application is supposed to respond before the RMP.  The RMP can take its time to send the callback.

Jacques: we have some use cases.  Callback can be bundled, the acks can be bundled but if you do that you may not want to sort out which belongs to one way and which belongs to request/response mep.  This use case shows one use.

Sunil; another use case is the sender wants a centralized ack mechanism regardless of callback or response reply pattern.  The same would apply for polling.  This restriction does not really simplify the protocol.

Doug: I do not understand how when sending rmp sends it message how it knows that there will be date in soap body of response.   We should not apply bp 1.0 at the consumer interface level.

Sunil one operation has an input but does not have an output.

Jeff: BP enforcement looks at messages going across the wire.  All the messages using the soap/http post binding, as in section 6, must obey BP 1.0 restrictions.

Jacques: you must also look at the wsdl, including the port binding, for conformance.

Jacques: the restriction in 1.085 precludes using a wsdl request response bound to soap http post binding with callback or poll reply pattern

Tom: the question is how important the loss of this use case is with this restriction.

Jeff: we have those use cases given to us, as Sunil as described.

Jeff: the 10 second short hand question: you do not want to allow callback or POLL WITH Wsdl request response on Soap http/post binding.

Tom  We need to clarify that we are talking about the standard wsdl soap/http-Post port binding type.

Doug: if wsdl says it is one way, then that means there can be no underlying response on the wire.     The ws reliability spec is a slightly different wsdl binding.

Jeff: we are not talking about one way, we are only talking about request response.

Doug: I agree with Tom, that if a consumer interface described as a wsdl operation using request response has to go to the underlying level, then the section 2 changes disallow it.

Tom: The standard soap/httpPost wsdl port binding does make a strong mapping of application level request response to the underlying Soap request response MEP.   Other wsdl port bindings could be defined which map wsdl request/respose operations to underlying soap oneway MEP, but these have not been defined yet.

Doug: I would like to ask a second part of this.  Regarding Application level one way message, are we required to use a one-way message at soap level for the mapping.

Tom: this restriction comes if one uses the standard wsdl port binding of type soap-http/post, and the BP 1.0 restrictions.

Tom: the question is: do we want to continue to allow usage of wsdl request/response operation type with a wsdl port soap/http-post binding, with the use of the callback or poll reply pattern.

Tom: is anyone opposed to removing the text in 1.085 which restricts usage of request response operations with callback or poll reply patterns (when using the soap/http-post wsdl port binding).

Nobody expressed opposition to removing the restriction.

Tom: There is some work need perhaps to hone up Jacques proposed text.   The figures have no respond primitive shown.

Jacques: I will look at the figures to fix the problem

·  about latest contribution + 1 observation
From Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> on
13 Aug 2004 01:49:42 -0000

Doug made the case for his edit of 2.5 where only SOAP One-way (not SOAP request-response) is now used for defining the Callback reply pattern (and Poll ) in Section 2.5 ( I initially did not write this restriction), by pointing that he was only aligning the definitions so that they are compatible with the HTTP binding requirements (Section 6), that require these messages to adjust to SOAP One-way, and One-way only. So indeed, section 2.5 and section 6 are now more consistent with each other.

I must say I had not focused much on this section (6) before, but I have to point out something important about its current wording:

After a careful reading of Section 6.2 and 6.3,  my conclusion is the following:

For RMP implementations that are BP 1.0 compliant, the current wording of Section 6.2/3 makes it impossible to use Callback and Poll reply patterns for messages that relate to WSDL request-response operation types (see explanation below).

 I know some of us had proposed this (Tom) before, but I am not sure this is what the TC really intended, as we did not pursue this idea.

Certainly, the now defunct Table 5.2 contradicted this restriction.

 I personally have no strong opinion on this yet would rather not have this restriction.

Explanation:

 Section 6.2 describes precise HTTP requirements related to BP 1.0  for a Callback response in case of Faults ("empty HTTP entity-body", etc) .Two statements here are restricting the use of Callback as applicable only to WSDL One-way operation types.

- L1487 (item 2) clearly states that no SOAP envelope should go in the HTTP response, at least in normal (non fault) cases. This combined with BP 1.0 rules out the use of WSDL request-response operations, which bind to HTTP request-response (via the SOAP binding mandated in BP1.0. Although this can be seen as quite restricting, that also can be seen as a major helper  in SOAP interoperability.).

- L1479-1482 requires NO SOAP fault to be returned in case of error. But  R1029 in BP 1.0 : ("Where the normal outcome of processing a SOAP message would have resulted in the transmission of a SOAP response, but rather a SOAP Fault is generated instead, a RECEIVER MUST transmit a SOAP Fault message in place of the response.") requires a SOAP fault to be returned when a SOAP response was in order. And BP 1.0 always requires a SOAP response over HTTP response,  for output messages that are defined for WSDL requrest-responses operations. So these operations must always generate a SOAP Fault on the HTTP response, which conflicts with our requirement.

We havea  similar situation for Poll pattern (6.3)

Proposal:

If the TC intends to accept this restriction, that should be made more explicit and at higher level (our spec is also for WS users who think in terms of what kind of reliability features they can use with what Web service operations, not just for developers who will look at what HTTP binding they should use.)

If not, I would suggest we reword 6.2 / 6.3 (to accommodate both WSDL one-way and request-response), and relax the One-way restriction for Callback reliable message.

Jacques

·  Contribution taking away one-way restriction on Callback and Poll