Subject: Re: [wsrm] comment on 1.085jdak

I suspect it will be necessary and useful to go one step further than "An
RMP MUST be able to distinguish which SOAP MEP is being used when sending
or receiving a Reliable Message."  We need to explicitly state any WSDL
instance describing the relevant Consumer interface defines the wire-level
for the Reliable Message.  That is, "The Sending RMP MUST use the SOAP MEP
(as defined in Section 2.3) corresponding to the WSDL operation associated
with this Reliable Message."

I would also recommend resurrecting table 5.2 though not as a table.  I do
not believe the current drafts explicitly state the restriction that "the
Response RM-Reply Pattern MUST NOT be used when the relevant Consumer WSDL
is a one-way operation".  This seems important and should not need to be
inferred from other restrictions in our specification.  Words to that
effect should appear in Section 2.4.1 (or earlier).

A few additional comments on draft "1085jdak"[1] (using lines from the PDF[2]):

- At line 411 (in Section 2.4.2), the MEP restrictions on the Callback
message itself (the publication) have been lifted.  This implies it is
possible for the Sending RMP to respond in some way to this message but we
have not described any purpose for such a response.  Since this SOAP
message is almost always (apart from the "bundle" case discussed in Section
4.4, see below) an RMP signal and nothing else, this restriction should
stand for the general case.  It should, however, be overridden in the case
where a Response and Reliable Message are combined -- meaning the Reliable
Message constraints "win" when bundled.  I recommend this change to step 2
not be made.

Generally, the Consumer interface description controls the sending of a
Reliable Message and, optionally, its response.  That interface or WSDL
instance does not describe how other RMP signals are exchanged.  We do,
however, need to clearly describe these exchanges in this specification --
without multiple options.

- For this section and the next, we probably need to also be explicit about
the soap:Body being empty (and the lack of attachments) for all steps in
the sequences in the Callback and Poll RM-Reply Patterns but the first.
That is, no application content may be bundled with the callback
publication or poll request / response (except in the single bundle we
define later).

- At line 416 (in Section 2.4.3), the requirements on SOAP MEP support have
been changed and made overly broad.  These requirements should now be
closer to the previous edit, though widened a bit: "... the SOAP One-way
MEP MUST be supported. When using the "synchronous" option described below
or when a Consumer payload is expected, the RMPs MUST also support the SOAP
request-response MEP."

- At lines 425 and 429, the MEP restrictions on the asynchronous Poll
request and response have been lifted.  Similarly to line 411, these
extensions do not enhance interoperability and instead leave confusing
options open.  Unlike the Callback case, our protocol does not support
bundling a Poll request or response with a Reliable Message.  Therefore, I
recommend this change to steps 2 and 3 not be made.

- At line 932 (in Section 4.4), we introduce the idea of combining a
Callback message with an unrelated Reliable Message.  This paragraph should
describe whether the Callback RM-Reply Pattern (ie. the original Reliable
Message) or the new Reliable Message decides the SOAP MEP for this message.
  An additional sentence such as "The restrictions described in step 2 of
Section 2.4.2 are not relevant for such a message; the Reliable Message is
exchanged as it would without the additional (Response) element." might do it.

- At line 1033 (in Section 4.5), the changes combine to leave us with "When
a Reliable Message is sent over a SOAP Request-response MEP (regardless of
the RM-Reply Pattern value),  a Consumer response payload is therefore
expected, and ..."  Why not simply "When a Reliable Message is sent using a
SOAP Request-response MEP and ..."?  Perhaps a "(regardless of the RM-Reply
Pattern used)" bit could be added but the rest is redundant.

- Starting at line 1417 (in Section 6.2), a number of reminders that each
message must be sent using the "HTTP POST method" appear.  Since such
requirements have already been made for the general case (the bullets at
line 1320 in Section 6, for example), these additions seem unnecessary.
The early references to the examples also do not seem as clear as the
previous bulleted list of steps.

- The new bullets as line 1430 seem correct but should be placed in Section
6 as they cover the general case.  What is necessary in the sections
specific to the RM-Reply Patterns is an explanation of and introduction to
the examples.  BP 1.0, SOAP, HTTP and WSDL have already been documented
quite thoroughly, as has our general mapping from our generic SOAP MEPs to
HTTP exchanges.

- editorial: At line 1432, "then" is always unnecessary with a simple "if"
clause.  Most of these have been removed from the document, making this
sentence inconsistent with the rest of the specification.  This is one
example of a more general need to repeat a number of editorial fixes
(removing spaces and unnecessary "join" words mostly) before we are done.

More generally, who is doing what at the moment?  I have seen no email
among the previous editing team and cannot quite grasp the outcome of our
teleconference from either my time on the call or the preliminary minutes.

thanx,
	doug

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/8746/WS-Reliability-1085-jdak.sxw