Subject: Rationale for Approval Despite SAP NO Vote

Jacques and I drafted the following text, as a rationale for appoving
the WS-Reliabiity spec, despite the SAP NO vote.

We should discuss this text at the F2F meeting before our vote to
approve the spec.

Tom Rutt
WSRM TC Chair
-------------
The WSRM TC has considered the SAP comments accompanying their NO vote
on the OASIS WS-Reliability Specification.

There is currently no standard to represent the RM capabilities
associated with a Web Service.

Appendix B of the WS-Reliability specification (i.e., Features,
Properties and Compositors) provides a normative WSDL 1.1 extension
mechanism to meet this requirement.

This mechanism is normative, but optional for conformance to the
WS-Reliability Specification.  This provides one mechanism which may be
implemented today to realize this requirement, but does not preclude
usage of future standard mechanisms (e.g., for WSDL 2.0).

Without specifying a representation of reliability capabilities that a
WS endpoint can advertise, web service providers and web service users
would have to define their own ad-hoc ways to represent and exchange
such capabilities. The current specification provides a WSDL extension
for describing RM capabilities which, even though optional, will
facilitate interoperation for those who decide to use it. We do not
think the optionality weakens interoperability in this case, as SAP
claims. We believe that not specifying such a feature at all would make
it harder to agree on a representation mechanism between partners.

The WSRM TC (subject to Vote on Nov 10) agreed to request the OASIS TC
Administration to approve the specification as submitted despite the SAP
negative vote.