OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

wsrm message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Preliminary Minutes WSRM TC teleconf 3/8/2005

The Prelim Minutes are attached.

Please provide corrections before the end of the week to the entire list.

Tom Rutt

Tom Rutt	email: tom@coastin.com; trutt@us.fujitsu.com
Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133

Title: Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call – May 06, 2003

Preliminary Minutes for WSRM TC Conference Call –March 08, 2005


The meeting of the WSRM  TC took place by teleconference 

Tuesday, Mar 08 , 2005, from 5:30 to 6:20 PM Eastern Standard Time



1         Draft Agenda:


    1 Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call

    2 Roll Call

    3 Minutes Discussion

    3.1 Appointment of Minute Taker

    3.2 Approval of previous meeting minutes –

    4 Action Item Status Review

    5 Status of WS-Reliability Specification

    6 Interop SC Future activities

    7 Next Step Documentation

    7.1 Editorial Clarifications and Errata

    7.2 Implementation Guidelines

    7.2 Future Enhancement Requests

    8 Composability with other WS-Specs

    9 ws reliability PAS progression

    10 Discussion of Future Meetings


2         Roll Call


First Name

Last Name






Booz Allen Hamilton











TC Chair









NEC Corporation




















Sun Microsystems




Univ of Hong Kong



Prosp Member




Meeting is quorate.


4         Minutes Discussion


Tom Rutt will take minutes.


4.1      Approval of previous meeting minutes

The minutes of the 02/22 meeting (amended attendance list from prelim minutes) are posted at:



Jacques Moved to approve the 2/22  minutes, Mark Peel seconded.


No opposition minutes 2/22  minutes  approved



5         Status of Action Items

5.1      Action 090704-1 (Tom) Pending


Action: Tom will try to find, from previous minutes, a list of features we have put off for future versions and will post it to the list for discussion.


5.2      Action 121404-2 (Anish) Open


Action: Oracle will provide examples of soap header dumps with both ws-reliability and ws-Security headers in use, as in the interop demo.


Anish posted email:

WSS and WS-Reliability header dumps  Anish Karmarkar 24 Feb 2005 23:22:27


Anish may post some additional examples of other combinations.


5.3      Action 012505-1 (Tom Rutt) Pending


Action: Tom will investigate how to change the status of printed document.  The posted standard still states CD.


Continuing action, need standard number from OASIS staff

5.4      Action 020805-2 (Tom Rutt) open

Action: Tom will investigate how to post the three OASIS pas documents on our server.


Jamie Clark is investigating how to get the documents on the OASIS Site.

6         Status of WS-Reliability Specification


The public and member web site pages for the TC to have a single announcement, which refers by URL to spec and  schema at the proper location on the OASIS web site.







The spec at the above link itself still shows status a CD.


Tom posted an edited cover page for review at:



The chair sent an email to OASIS staff about getting an OASIS standard number:


Response from Jamie Clark, was forwarded to wsrm list and posted as:

[Fwd: Re: Just posted ... cover page ... WS-Reliability 1.1 Tom Rutt 7 Mar 2005 14:54:57


--- Begin Message ---


    * From: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>

    * To: tom@coastin.com

    * Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:23:57 -0800


     Acknowledged.  Per comments on the [chairs] list, we are revising the

"2004nn" practice; we will revert (to the list) with an appropriate value

shortly.  JBC


At 11:37 AM 3/2/2005, Tom Rutt wrote:

>I just posted an edited cover page, for review by OASIS staff and the TC,




>OASIS Staff needs to provided the OASIS Standard number (e.g., 2004nn) for

>the cover and footer.

>Please send any comments to the wsrm list.

>Tom Rutt

>WSRM TC Chair



7         Interop SC Future activities

Discussion of Future activities for Interop SC.


Defer to a Future Meeting, Bob not present.

8         Next Step Documentation

The editied contribution from the Interop SC is posted as:



Comments have been requested on re-factoring this contribution into the three document types shown below.


Tom took Action to produce the three drafts before the next meeting.

8.1      Editorial Clarifications and Errata 

Clarifications, editorial nits, interpretations of the actual specification,

which should be posted for others to see


I received the following email from Steve Stewart:

Hi Tom


*RE: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrm/2004/06/ws-reliability-1.1.xsd*


I think the above schema has a defect in it. If you search for ReplyPatterType you will find it. No 'n' at the end of Pattern. About line 122 as below.


<xsd:element name="Value" type="wsrm:ReplyPatterTypeValues"/>


Keep up the great standards work. It is excellent to see and absolutely critical for WS technology to succeed.


Kind regards




Corrected Schema (single typo adding “n” after “Patter” posted by Tom Rutt as:



There is now a need to post an errata indicating the simple typo.


Doug: This committee could not change the document, without another OASIS Member Vote.   This error proves we have a problem in our Using clause of the work submitted.


Action: Tom will provide a draft errata document, for review by the committee.  We can progress it as a Committee Draft.


8.2      Implementation Guidelines / Application Notes

Things to help implementers, which, would typically be specific to application environments.

8.3      Future Enhancement Requests

Proposed changes for future versions which would ease implementation or enhance protocol capabilities.

9         Composability with other WS-Specs


Task force was initiated with members Jacques, Alan,  Abbie,. and Bob F.


Output document was posted by Jacques as:



Jacques introduced the draft.  The purpose is to define what composability means.  People talk about composability, but there is no standard terminology.


This is not a specific ws-security composition document, but there could be illustrations later.  This could be progressed as a white paper, or some form of Technical Report.


Alan Weissberger helped on the document.  More work is needed on the Fault aspect and the Contract Aspects.


Jacques invited comments on this Draft.


He gave an overview:


First Idea is to define composability patterns.   Different ways specifications can compose:

  • Supportive composability  (fosters tool re-use)  e.g., languages for rule exposition
  • Constitutive composability (must be implemented along with feature of another spec). e.g. layered protocol specs
  • Functional composability (implementations use two standards together, in sequence at sender and receiver side). e.g., soap processing model


There are other aspects (open vs closed composition) (contract users) discussed in the Paper.


Specific recommendations on signatures:


Joe: have you thought of another OASIS TC on this subject.


Jacques: It may be early, but we are talking about things going beyond reliability and security.


Joe: It could work wi


Tom: could you put a reference on where the three signature types are discussed.


Tom: Is there an intent to do more work on the specific document of composition with ws-security.


Jacques: Fujitsu, Hitachi, and NEC want to investigate further ways to have ws-reliability work with ws-security.  The current document assumes ws-reliability knows about security.  This document could be improved by talking about other alternative.


Also: Anish’s action Item can come up with more examples for the specific document.

10   WS-reliability PAS progression

Tom sent a mail to investigate how to post the three OASIS pas documents on our server.

Tom Sent an Email to OASIS Staff indicating the motion which passed at the Feb 22 teleconference.




From the minutes of our WSRM TC meeting on 2/22/2005, at: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/11628/MinutesWSRMTC022205.htm



Bob M: I move that we ask the OASIS staff to pursue the PAS progression of WS-reliability.  Jeff M seconded.


No opposition, motion passed.


Action: tom will inform Jamie of this motion to get the ball rolling.



This mail is to inform you of this motion.


Perhaps the TC can help in the preparation of any necessary explanatory reports, if OASIS staff wants or help in this area.


Tom Rutt



No response has been received yet.


Doug: Four EBXML specs have been progressed already.

11   Discussion of Future Meetings


Tom reserved all day Thursday  and Friday Morning after the symposium for Our TC.


The hotel will supply a screen.  Tom will find out if we need a projector.


There will be a 30 dollar a day fee for attendees (there will be a meeting registration form).


The program is published on the Web site.  Members should check it out.

12   New Business



Doug moved to adjourn at 6:20.  Anish Seconded.


No Opposition, meeting was Adjourned.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]