Subject: [Fwd: OASIS IPR Policy transition timing question for WSRM TC]

I forward an email from Jamie regarding transition to new IPR policy.

I will put this on the agenda for our Apil 4 Teleconf.

--- Begin Message ---
     As you know, our current OASIS IPR Policy was adopted in April 2005
with a 2-year transition period, during which the OASIS TCs then existing
could choose when to convert from the old IPR Policy to the new one under
the OASIS IPR Transition Policy [1].  As we announced back in 2005 [2],
each TC has until April 2007 to select one of the new policy's three
licensing IPR Modes, and conduct the transition vote;  or cease operations
if no transition vote is successfully completed by April 2007.

    Tom, it would be helpful to know whether your TC has discussed plans to
convert.   Could you please advise back to me whether your TC has begun
considering this, and if so, roughly on what schedule?  This is an informal
inquiry:  we are asking only for current thinking, not a binding
determination or TC member poll.  The level of answer we hope for is:

     __ We haven't considered our timing yet.
     __ We are considering starting a transition roughly in ___ [calendar
quarter] 2006/07
     __ We probably will close before April 2007 and not convert.

If planning has not started, OASIS standards development staff will be in
touch to discuss your TC's plans, needs and timing between now and the
OASIS Symposium in San Francisco in May.  Obviously we will be happy to assist.

Thanks for your attention and assistance.
Best regards  Jamie Clark

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr_transition_policy.php
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200502/msg00006.html

--- End Message ---