wsrp-conformance message

Subject: [wsrp-conformance] Conformance guide?

As I began trying to reflect the use profiles into the assertions spreadsheet and also reflected some on Rex's comments about using the use profiles within the Primer, a couple of things began to make me think a separate Conformance Guide might be useful. Reasons include:
1. For those seeking to know what it means to conform to the "Complex Producer" level without a need or desire to know details about the protocol (e.g. someone reviewing a purchase requisition for a particular product), even the Primer will be too technical.
2. Many (possibly even most) of the things that distinguish one use profile from another can not be tested by a conformance suite (e.g. the Complex Producer offers local persistence), but are readily apparent and/or demonstrable by products.

Whether or not we do a separate guide, we do need to flesh out the Use Profiles with some examples. Here are some suggestions:
 Simple Producer:
    - Simple containers (i.e. limited functionality)
    - Single portlet based systems/applications

 Complex Producer:
    - Full container based frameworks such as portals or application servers

Simple Consumer:
    - Web page plug-in?
    - ActiveX control?

 Medium Consumer:
    - Application server?

Complex Consumer:
    - Full aggregating engines such as portals

Are these roughly what people have been thinking these levels apply to?

Rich Thompson