wsrp-coord message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-coord] Should we design in support for out-of band even ts?

I subscribe to that

Alejandro

On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 10:03 AM, Tamari, Yossi wrote:

I think the best guidance we can provide is to ignore this case, implicitly saying that we do not think it should be used...
I agree that the _applications_ behind the portlets maybe receiving and sending OOB events, but I do not think portlets should do that. Portlets have a very clear life cycle, and in my view when they are not explicitly called by the container (and consumer) they should be dormant (in a sense they only exist during the request cycle. Between requests it's just their state that persists, just like servlets, ASP pages, etc.).

    Yossi.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 7:28 PM
To: wsrp-coord@lists.oasis-open.org

This is equivalent to saying that it is up to each implementation to decide how out-of-band items get reflected into the WSRP interactions. My gut instinct says this is where we will likely end up, but I think we would do a disservice to the community-at-large if we don't at least consider the implications related to out-of-band events and possibly provide some guidance.

Rich Thompson

<image.tiff>
I'm not sure we should we care about out-of-band events, unless we
consider pushing them through WSRP calls. In other words, making them
in-band.

Alejandro