wsrp-coord message

Subject: RE: [wsrp-coord] Should we design in support for out-of band even ts?

Title:
No polling! All events would carry a virtual clock (single value for consumer and possibly an array of long-int values for each producer involved) that relates the event to previous ones. This allows one event (say an in-band one) to be ordered wrt another (say an out-of-band one) without forcing extra synchronizations. However, we would need to agree such a virtual clock is valuable for real examples. But it's one way to link in-band (synchronous) to other out-of-band events.

regards,
Andre
-----Original Message-----
From: Tamari, Yossi [mailto:yossi.tamari@sap.com]
Sent: 06 August 2003 10:39
To: wsrp-coord@lists.oasis-open.org

See inline.

    Yossi,
-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Kramer [mailto:andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 11:27 AM
To: wsrp-coord@lists.oasis-open.org

I would say that coordinating which portlets are involved in eventing/updates (and which require re-display) is in scope of SC [page / fragment level invalidation is not].
[Yossi Tamari] I agree that the spec should enable portlets that received events to send new markup. I think this should be managed much like an interaction. I do not think we should develop a special cache invalidation mechanism for eventing.

For out-of-band, we should make sure we have clear processing phases that can be used to demarcate out of band signalling. Possibly some sort of virtual clock?
[Yossi Tamari] I would like to see a proposition on how this can work. I currently fail to see the value of demarcating something that may have happened a long time ago, and is outside the spec to begin with.
If this means adding a new stage where all portlets are polled, I would strongly object. Otherwise, since portlets are only called after an interaction with them, or an in-band event they subscribed to (including their state being "written"), this would be extremely not deterministic, and not useful.

regards,
Andre