wsrp-coord message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-coord] supporting properties

Close.  The state is neither common nor [necessarily] persistent.
 Though logically the problem trying to be solved is one of sharing a
common state in practice because of the isolation of portlets it becomes
a practice of each island/portlet maintaining its own version of the
state and defining a mechanism that moves the state between the various
players when necessary.  Whether any given portlet maintains this
information persistently or transiently is of no concern [though we
likely want to know scoping for optimization reasons].  To accomplish
this "special calls" do need to exist.  First, we need a way for a
portlet to declare its "public" data [model].  This is the portion of
data it maintains that it is willing to expose to the consumer/and or
willing to be set by the consumer.  Then we need a way for this data to
be sent/received.  For performance reasons one prefers to only send data
to the consumer when the data changes -- hence you likely return new
values in your action response.  For times when the consumer  needs
these values though the portlet isn't the target of an action, a form of
GetProperty can be used.  This is useful for example when the page is
first loaded and data needs to flow between the portlets to properly
 initialize their state. For pushing values to a portlet, a form of
SetProperty is used.

The transfer of state logically occurs during the action phase.  An
action returns changed state values that are then pushed through the
system.  Once the chain of changes completes the consumer can safely
render portlets on the page.  The initial state transfer occurs outside
an action.  For example when a user accesses a page for the first time
where there is dependencies between two portlets state, the consumer
bootstraps the state/values by calling getProperty/setProperty directly.

To make this clearer and to show it side by side with a pure event
system I am hoping to write up a short description of how our Use Case
works in the "supporting properties" case and the "event" case.  If
lucky I may have this done for next Wednesday but unfortunaetly doubt it.
     -Mike-