wsrp-coord message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-coord] Groups - Discussed Eventing Semantics.doc uploaded

Rich,

Thanks for this doc. It is a good read. Please find some comments below.

General Comments:

1. It would be useful to introduce a class of events that do not cause
new events or cause state changes. This would address a common use case
where a portlet wants to propagate some state to other portlets, to let
those portlets render differently. This also allows the consumer to
piggy back dispatching such events over a getMarkup request. Other
events could still be processed with the mechanism described in this
proposal.

2. Mode/state changes to cause predefined events (e.g., modeChanged,
stateChanged). I'm not sure if this is useful for state changes, but
there are use cases for mode states to trigger events.

3. Can the consumer generate arbitrary events?

Specific Comments:

[1.1] ... in other Portlets the Consumer aggregates from the same Producer.

Does this mean that eventing is limited to portlets from the same producer.

[1.1] In the second step...

The description of the second step could also clarify that the second
may involve several roundtrips of handleEvents() calls.

[2.1.1] generatedEvents

If a portlet is allowed to generate events that it has not described,
could we drop generatedEvents altogether? This may actually simplify the
programming model for portlet developer.

[3.2] handleEvents() operation

Can this operation return new navigational state? When a portlet is
allowed to make state changes, it may have to change the navigational
state as well.

Regards,

Subbu