wsrp-coord message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-coord] Groups - WSRP Coordination SC teleconference added

Comments:
1) I would like to see a new basic goal that states Coordination is a
mechanism to allow the consumer or end-user to affect the initial state
of a portlet.

2) I would like the data oriented use case I described in e-mail 2 weeks
ago to be referenced as an additional use case.  [Let me know if you
need it in HTML/document form].

3) Because of (1) I [obviously] don't like describing the mechansim as a
3 step protocol -- I.e. the consumer should/must be able to call handle
event directly as the starting off point.  It might be better if we used
terms like "commonly" to describe what you have described and then the
follow up with the direct/2 step approach.  Note: this once we go down
the road of using events for consumer/end-user driven state
intialization we will have to deal with the problem that we no longer
have a single initial callee.  I.e. the consumer/end-user  can choose to
set the initial state of many portlets on a page.  In this environment
we will have to discuss/worry about whether we care about order for the
cases when such events cause each portlets to return events.  [A simple
model would be to say that the consumer can't process any follow-on
events until all initial events have been processed.  And that once the
consumer starts processing follow-on events it can do so in any order.

By the way, I am trying to figure out how we will use events to handle
my use case.  Is this in the vicinity of making sense? In one scenario
we could look at defining a well known event WSRP_InitializeStateEvent.
 The existence of such an event would indicate a "public parameter" that
the consumer/end_user could initialize.  This event would have a well
known type: StateDescription which would look very much like our other
Descriptions -- name, type, description, extension.  The portlet would
publish N of these events each with a different StateDescription for
each piece of state it wants the consumer/end-user to be able to control.

     -Mike-