wsrp-coord message

Subject: Issue #16: Is handleEvents allowed to redirect user?

I was tasked with starting a discussion on whether there is a need to
allow handleEvents to redirect the user. Here it goes.

Regards

Subbu

Use case
--------

Portlet A fires a bigDeal event. Portlet B receives the event, and would
like to redirect the user to Big Deal portal.

Current Model
-------------

Portlet B cannot redirect the user during handleEvents(), and will have
to somehow cause an interaction after handling the event to cause the
redirect.

Proposed Model
--------------

Add a new redirectURL to the response of handleEvents. After processing
all events, Consumer SHOULD redirect the user to the redirectURL. Since
we allow for state changes during handleEvents, adding this field will
align handleEvents more closely with performBlockingInteraction.

Side effect

Portlet C is also handling the bigDeal event, and wants the Consumer to
redirect the user to Big Promo portal. In this case, the end result may
not be consistent across portal implementations. I guess the same can
happen with newWindowMode or newWindowState. For example, both the event
handling portlets may ask to be maximized. We need to be explicit about
this possibility in the spec.