wsrp-coord message

Subject: Fault handling with handleEvents

I would like to discuss if we need to be more specific about fault
handling  of handleEvents.

Problem: Unlike performBlockingInteraction, the Producer processes one
or more events during handleEvents and any fault returned from the
Producer may vary from implementation to implementation.

Scenario: A Producer receives a batch of events via handleEvents. Of
these, the first event requires state changes, but the Consumer sent a
readOnly flag. The second event requires some security permissions not
allowed for the current user. Whether the Consumer receives a
StateChangeRequired fault or AccessDenied fault depends on the order
Producer processes these events.

My questions:

a. Is the Producer required to process the events in the order the
Consumer supplied those events? Note that we do not require Consumers to
dispatch events in the order they were fired.

b. Should the Producer process both events and return two faults (as
errors in normal output, as in destroyPortlets)? This may sound bizarre,
but I would like to bring it up for the sake of argument since
handleEvents may be considered as a multi-input operation like
destroyPortlets.

c. Is the Producer allowed to process incoming events concurrently? We
don't specify anything about it currently, but shouldn't we?

Regards,

Subbu