wsrp-coord message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-coord] Issue #26: Should we allow handleEvents() to return markup?

I also think this is in keeping with the statement in 6.3.2 concerning events and interactions, namely; "an interaction is an encodable event (i.e. can be referenced by presentation markup)". We debated that quite a while and I would resist reopening that debate on each little detail. If we truly mean this, then many answers become obvious; event handling can do anything interaction handling can do.

That said, I think returning markup and a redirect are the two areas of interaction handling we left completely open when we discussed this similarity. Could people preparing arguments against allowing these for the coordination call tomorrow? My instinct is to have a complete overlap in capabilities.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

10/19/2004 11:28 AM

wsrp-coord@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[wsrp-coord] Issue #26: Should we allow handleEvents() to return markup?

I was tasked with starting a discussion on whether there is a need for
handleEvents to return markup to the Consumer. Here it goes.

Regards

Subbu

-----------------------------

Use Case: Portlet P raises an event. Producer A handles this event for
Portlet A, but does not return any events. Producer B handles this event
and returns another event, which the Consumer dispatches to Portlet C on
Producer C. Consumer then sends getMarkup requests to Producers A, B and
C to get markup for portlets A, B, and C respectively.

Current Model: Consumer will have to make three extra network round
trips to get the markup.

Proposed Model:

[UpdateResponse] = handleEvents (RegistrationContext, PortletContext,
                                 RuntimeContext, UserContext,
                                 navigationalState, portletStateChange,
                                 mode, windowState, events[]

The Consumer SHOULD discard the returned MarkupContext if it sends
additional events to the same portlet.

Note that, if we decide to let handleEvents return MarkupContext, we can
reuse the UpdateResponse structure.

With this change, Producer A and Producer B can return MarkupContext
with handleEvents response, and the Consumer can to use this
MarkupContext and avoid extra network round-trips.