wsrp-coord message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-coord] Fault handling with handleEvents

Few comments below.

Subbu

Rich Thompson wrote:

> I agree this is an area that still needs development. As to your questions:
>
> a. The Producer is required to process the events in the order they are
> received. The sending of an array is simply an optimization over
> receiving each of them individually. The Consumer is not required to
> dispatch events in the order they are received as it may want to apply
> logic that reorders the events, inserts ones it generates itself or even
> decides to not distribute a particular event.

I'm not sure if we should/can require this. Depending on how producer is
implemented it may or may not be able preserve the order.

> b. I think the question about whether all events should be processed or
> the first fault encountered returned is a nontrivial one. I would tend
> toward having the Producer process all the events and have a means in
> the return to indicate faults encountered and whether or not processing
> was aborted.

I like this route, but we may need some means of identifying each event
(like an ID) so that we can correlate processing errors with incoming
events.

> c. The requirement is that the events be processed in the order
> received. I think it might be a stretch to claim that can be
> parallelized. I also suspect that most platforms do not require portlet
> developers to write re-entrant code ...

I agree. But we should explicitly state that the Producer MUST NOT
process events concurrently.