wsrp-coord message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-coord] handleEvents Proposal

Rich,

Thanks for your comments. You gave me the right arguments. My comments
inline below.

I'll wait for  others to comment and then update the doc.

Subbu

Rich Thompson wrote:

> Subbu,
>
> Thanks for this approach ... it does a reasonable job of projecting the
> impact of the building consensus that handleEvents should be able to do
> everything pbia can do. A number of comments follow:
>
> 1. I think there are a number of problems with using the index to refer
> to failed processing of an event  (what is the base index of the array,
> it requires the Consumer to hold onto the supplied array, etc.). Two
> other approaches I would want to consider are; 1) Have the Consumer
> supply an eventID that can be used as this reference, or 2) Have the
> response message simply return an ordered array of those events that
> were not processed.

I was hoping for this comment :)

I think having an eventID makes it easy for both the Consumer and Producer.

> 2. I disagree that it is always the portlet that should be deciding
> whether or not to abort event processing upon the first failure. There
> are examples where Consumers would want to be able to exert control
> (e.g. an e-Commerce app might not want any later events processed that
> could result in financial transactions if earlier events, which could be
> setting up a shopping cart's data, are not handled properly). This could
> just be a boolean expressing that the Consumer is exerting that event
> processing must be aborted on failure vs portlet choice on whether or
> not to abort on failure.

I see the use case. My follow-up question - is the Producer required to
honor such a boolean?

> 3. As to tossing out the Consumer attaching value to the order of events
> in the array, consider the example I cite in #2. The point is that there
> are a class of Consumers which will attach much more intelligence to
> coordinating the portlets being used than what is reasonable for a
> typical portal. Are there use cases you are aware of where is will be
> difficult to process the supplied events in the order the Consumer
> supplied them?

I'm not aware of any use cases. I asked this question to make sure that
implementors planning to support the coordination model have no
objections. In view of your use case above, it makes sense to say that
the Producer MUST process the events in the order the Consumer supplied
them.