wsrp-dev message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-dev] GroupID

Please see answers inline.

Regards,

Subbu

Rob Butler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question about wsrp & groupid.
>
> Section 5.1.18 of WSRP Version 1.0 discusses cookies
> and groupID.  The perGroup option states the
> following:
>
> "The Consumer MUST invoke initCookie() once per unique
> groupID from the PortletDescriptions for the Portlets
> it is aggregating on a page for each user of the
> Consumer, and associate any returned cookies with
> subsequent invocations on behalf of that user
> targeting Portlets with identical groupIDs."
>
> What are the requirements for portlets with the same
> groupid to be related as stated above?
>
> For example, assume the portal has two portlets on a
> portal page and both those portlets have the same
> group id, and both have CookieProtocol Type set to
> perGroup.
>
> If I have two copies of the exact same portlet on the
> page, served from the exact same WSRP URL then these
> two portlets should share cookie information correct?

Yes

> If I have two separate portlets in the same portlet
> application served from the exact same WSRP URL then
> these two portlets should share cookie information
> correct?

Assuming both have the same groupId, the answer is yes.

> If I have two separate portlets in DIFFERENT portlet
> applications served from the SAME server, but with
> different WSRP URL's (FQDN is same, but path is
> different) will these portlets share cookie
> information?

It depends on how you define a portlet application. If those two
applications are two different consumers, then they don't share the same
cookie. But if those apps are treated as a single consumer, then the
answer is yes. Note that the protocol does not have a notion of a
portlet application - so it is upto the implementation.

> If I have two portlets in DIFFERENT portlet
> applications served from DIFFERENT portal servers
> (different FQDN) will these portlets share cookie
> information?

Same as above.

> Also, in 5.1.18, it refers to "portlets it is
> aggregating on a page".  So, how would answers to all
> the above questions change if the two portlets were
> NOT on the same portal page, but were on separate
> portal pages within the same portal?

Again the question would be check whether those portlets are using the
same consumer or not. My guess is that, in most implementations, the
consumer is the same.

> Lastly, just to confirm when setting the
> CookieProtocol Type to perGroup, initCookie is only
> called once for the group of portlets, but would still
> be called for each user, so there is no sharing of
> cookie information across users, correct?

Yes.