Subject: RE: [wsia][wsrp-interfaces] newWindowState, newMode, redirectURL

For me this design seems to be too specific. If the porltet decides to
include a URL in its markup that points outside the portal server the whole
browser window should just be redirected (maybe after a message warning the
user). For some pages it might even be illegal to embed them by default.
If the portal wants to include the content of the remote page inside of
itself it should provide the necessary transcoding functionality itself.
Having this as a requirement for the consumer puts a lot of burden on
possible consumers.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           Rich             |
|         |           Thompson/Watson/I|
|         |           BM@IBMUS         |
|         |           07/17/2002 07:31 |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                        |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsia][wsrp-interfaces] newWindowState, newMode, redirectURL                                                            |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

For me this suggests we may want a means by which an entity may hint
whether the new URL should replace its own content, replace the entire
portal page or launch as a new window (does the portal get to tell the
browser to do this?).

                      "Tamari, Yossi"

                      <yossi.tamari@sap        To:       "'Alejandro
Abdelnur'" <alejandro.abdelnur@sun.com>
                      .com>                    cc:
wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org
                                               Subject:  RE:
[wsia][wsrp-interfaces] newWindowState, newMode,
                      07/17/2002 01:21          redirectURL

                      PM

That is not how I understood it, and it seems strange: The user has a
(portal) page with a lot of fragments, he clicks on one of these fragments,
and he is sent outside of the portal framework, losing all the other
fragments?
I thought only the specific fragment was replaced by the redirected URL,
and even then it seemed a little "dangerous" in that it breaks the
producer/consumer protocol.

             Yossi.