Subject: RE: [wsia][wsrp-interfaces] Specific or general destroy mechanism (s)

Well, MS tried the "general" approach in its Win16 API, and moved the
"specific" way in its Win32 API. I can certainly understand it - I always
prefer being specific.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Mon, July 22, 2002 17:14
To: wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org; wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsia][wsrp-interfaces] Specific or general destroy
mechanism(s)

The current draft spec has a generic release mechanism (releaseHandles()).
At times more specific mechanisms have been mentioned (deregisterConsumer()
& destroyEntities()).
Advantages/disadvantages I see for the generic mechanism are:

Advantages:
  - Single operation in the interface
  - Extensible ... can easily deal with new handle types as they are added
to the spec.
  -
Disadvantages:
  - Implies an inheritance relationship between handles. This isn't bad,
but isn't required for specific mechanisms.
  - Type checking moved to the application level (this depends on how we
specify the serialization of the handles).
  - Harder to explain as the operation is more abstract and therefore
dependent on what is concretely passed.
  -

Comments / thoughts / preferences?