Subject: RE: [wsia][wsrp-interfaces] Specific or general destroy mechanism (s)

Hi Gil.

What API are you refering to? The general Win32 call to release handles is
a generic CloseHandle no matter if it is a process handle, file handle,
etc. Even the COM API has a generic Release call in the IUnknown interface.

I prefer the generic mechanism to release handles. Conceptually it does not
make any difference what type of handle/entity you release, so there is not
need for specific method. In addition it makes algorithms like garbage
collection, reference counters, etc much easier to implement as the can be
implemented in a generic way.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           Gil Tayar        |
|         |           <Gil.Tayar@webcol|
|         |           lage.com>        |
|         |           07/23/2002 01:37 |
  |       To:       wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org, wsia@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsia][wsrp-interfaces] Specific or general destroy mechanism       (s)                                                      |

Well, MS tried the "general" approach in its Win16 API, and moved the
"specific" way in its Win32 API. I can certainly understand it - I always
prefer being specific.