Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Questions regarding getPortletDescription()

I forget, can  the consumer pass a null userContext to getPortletDescription to "guarantee" the same semantic as calling getServiceDescription?  If a userContext must be passed we may have just invented a difference in the meaning of passing a null userContextKey vs wsrp:minimal.
     -Mike-

Coco, Christopher wrote:
Like Subbu said, right now if a Consumer wants to reread the portlet description
for a POP, they have to get the entire ServiceDescription and search for the POP's
portlet description. While it seems nice to say that we expect the Consumer to
cache the ServiceDescription and thus not request it very often, the use cases
we are talking about are not when the Consumer just wants the ServiceDescription
for the sake of getting the ServiceDescription. There are more times when the
Consumer wants to update only some subset of POPs metadata, and because of the
issues Scott has raised (the getPortletDescription() is sensitive to the UserContext),
if the Consumer wants the "full" POP description it must request the entire
ServiceDescription again as this is assured to have the "full" POP description.

Getting the "full" POP description from the ServiceDescription seems to be inefficient
and it would be better if the Consumer could request the "full" POP description by
using the getPortletDescription() call (i.e. irrespective of a user).

Christopher
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Freedman [mailto:Michael.Freedman@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:07 PM
To: wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org

First off on the question of  "This makes me wonder if I should completely ignore what’s found in the ServiceDescription to avoid using incorrect information."  I would advise the opposite.  getServiceDescription() defines the complete function of a portlet.  If you are choosing to pass the additional context information to getPortletDescription() then you are in effect checking with the producer what subset of this complete function this particular context can use.  Because all producers must be defensive an assume they will be called to do things in inappropriate contexts a consumer can safely try any operation directly [without checking first] and then deal with the resulting fault/denial.  And given getPortletDescription is an extra roundtrip in general its more advisable to not call it and just try the operation.  That being said there may be some circumstances in some consumers where its considered important to prevent the user from invoking function that isn't available -- for example one might want to restrict the view of a toolbox of portlets that can be added to a "page" to only those portlets this user can access/see.  This feature allows us to meet this type of [hopefully limited] use case.

As for the comments about cumbersome, can you describe the use cases that are making this cumbersome?  I recall we expected the consumer would [generally] be caching this information hence getServiceDescription would not be called very often.
     -Mike-

Coco, Christopher wrote:
I agree that this process is cumbersome and not necessarily desirable.

Christopher