Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] New Import Export document

I agree that the burden of transferring portlets from one registration to another belongs at the Producer. I'm not sure what about the export/import proposal changes that. If it relates to the use of a POP handle on the import, I actually disagree that the Consumer should need to do that dereference ... it ought to be the portletHandle corresponding to the exportedState.

As to the use cases (see http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interfaces/download.php/5614/Portlet%20Transport.htm) that seem to favor an approach that captures a snapshot of a portlet's state:
- Use case #1 refers to capturing a snapshot of a development system that is then pushed to the production system while development continues. I think it unreasonable to require the development system to remain static for whatever duration is involved in deploying the snapshot on however many production systems it impacts.
- Use case #2 makes snapshots even more important as the timing for deployment of the new Consumer in unknown. Certainly development wants to continue on these systems as well.

That said, import/export is not the only way to capture a snapshot. However, it is important that the solution we develop support the underlying use cases.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

07/22/2004 09:41 AM

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
interfaces <wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [wsrp-interfaces] New Import Export document

I agree with Andre's suggestions, as it correctly puts the burden on the
producer to transfer portlets from one registration context another
another without exposing any state.

> The main difference I see between such an operation and the proposed
> export/import is that the operation references the current state of a
> portlet while export/import proposal captures a snapshot and then looks
> to recreate it. For some of the use cases, I think this is an important
> difference.

Could you elaborate this in the context of the use case? The use case is
about letting certain customized portlets be used from another consumer.
Import/export may be one particular way of solving it, but not the only
option, I think.

> I would suggest we not get involved in scenarios involving a migration
> of the Producer as well. How would a Consumer, in general, learn the
> following scenario relative to Portlets exported from Producer1:
> - PortletA may be imported to Producer 2, but not Producer3
> - PortletB may be imported to Producer3, but not Producer2
> - None of the exported portlets may be imported to ProducerN

Have we captured these with our use cases for this problem?
Cross-producer import/export seems to be a new use case not discussed so
far.