Subject: RE: [wsrp-interfaces] New Import Export document

As you point out, a scenario reminiscent of capturing a version in a source library is a manner of capturing a snapshot without the potential for massive amounts of data traversing the network. We should consider it as an alternative, my first questions/thoughts are:

1. Does use of a SnapshotRegistration provide the flexibility in the export/import proposal for either sending the data needed to produce a clone of a portlet to the Consumer or just a reference to this information? My first guess is 'yes' as the portletState can be pushed to the Consumer.

2. Does managing this special class of registrations (would they be a special class or is it merely a use of the registration concept by the Consumer?) cause any particular burden on Producers?

3. How does a Producer who does not support registrations provide the equivalent function?

Rich

Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>

07/22/2004 09:44 AM

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Subject
RE: [wsrp-interfaces] New Import Export document

I definitely was not attempting to solve the cross-producer migration issues only to show that they could be supported by a "by-reference" style operation too. If one allows different flavors of "registrations" to be created then a consumer could, e.g., create a new registration (handle) as an archive or storage area and copy portlets into this registration (a sort of "export") and then copy again later, on to a 3rd registration to "import" the portlets again. Any such semantics would be negotiated out of band as you suggest (by asking for different "types" of new registrations, as supported by producers, for example). But the question I had question is whether a consumer initiated direct copy within in producer (across registrations) solves the basic deployment management use cases?

Regards,
Andre