Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Why do we have an onLoad event and no onUnload?

I haven't seen an answer to that so far.
I think Stefan is right here. If we have an onLoad, we should also have an
onUnload.
Please note that the onUnload does not serve the same purposes as
destroyPortlets() does.

I tend to agree with Stefan here, the symmetry makes sense here, especially
when we pick up the use case mentioned below (comming from Mike initially I
think).
Here is a use justifying onUnload using the same arguments:

OnLoad (try to recap Mike's use case)
1. user logs in (and will be routed to his initial page)
2. Consumer fires on load event to allow portlets on the initial page to
prepare the portlet usage i.e. establish DB connections or whatever -> this
minimizes the wait time if the user finally sees the page
3. user invokes initial page (or the Consumer routes him there) ->
getMarkup is called for all portlets. Portlets which were pre-initialized
can return markup faster

OnUnload (similar arguments)
1. user logs out from Consumer portal. In this case this doesn't mean that
the portlet is destoyed! The CCP has still to be maintained, user might log
in again and still use the portlet.
So here we need to seperate destoy and OnUnload.
2. Consumer sends OnUnload event. This allows the portlets to release
resources like DB connections, etc. Note: these are not necessarirly stored
in the session?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Team Lead & Technical Lead
WSRP Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             Stefan Hepper
             <sthepper@hursley
             .ibm.com>                                                  To
                                       WSRP Interfaces subgroup
             06/15/2005 05:46          <wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.o
             PM                        rg>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsrp-interfaces] Why do we have an
                                       onLoad event and no onUnload?

Hi all,
sorry to ask something that you may have discussed already some time ago
before I joined, but I don't quite understand what the use case for the
onLoad event is.

If it is to initialize resources on behalf of the user why is there no
onUnload event to release these resources?

Are these events useful at all given that the delivery is not guaranteed?

Stefan