Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] interactionFieldPrefix and namespacing formparams

You are right that currently the wording of the spec does not say
anything when a portlet should use prefixing form fields. I miss-read
the SHOULD in the current version and assumed that the portlet should
prefix form fields, while it only states that the prefix should only be
used for these purposes.

Why would it break the spec if we enhance the namespace semantic and
make the namespace to be the same for the duration of the session?
This change could also be applied to the new JSR 168 spec version.

Stefan

Michael Freedman wrote:
> You are correct the JSR 168 semantics mirrors the WSRP 1.0 semantics
> regarding namespacing, each being largely broken for form field
> prefixing.  Yes, a smart developer might see they can encode the
> namespace prefix [or a key to it] in a hidden field -- but 999 out of
> 1000 this would be missed/considered too clumsy if needed any more then
> in a blue moon.  This proposal is about adding semantics to make it
> convenient to prefix form fields.  It requires changes/additions in JSR
> 168 2.0 to support.
>
> I don't understand you second comment regarding the producer container
> needing to parse the porlet markup.  Producers/portlets/containers
> aren't required to prefix their form fields.  I would expect some
> producer containers to expose this capability in a meaningful way to its
> developers -- however if not then the developer can't prefix form fields
> in that environment except to specifically code to wsrp by writing/using
> the wsrp_rewrite- token -- somethign I wouldn't expect to be used in a
> container environment that isn't exclusively based on WSRP [like JSR 168].
>        -Mike-
>
> Stefan Hepper wrote:
>
>> In addition to Richard's points, here the current JSR 168 behavior:
>>
>> - if portlets namespace a form field they will get this prefix on the
>> form submit
>> - there is no Java Portlet API that will provide the developer with a
>> prefix usable for form parameter namespacing. The getNamespace method
>> in the Java Portlet API is only guaranteed to stay the same within a
>> request, not across requests.
>>
>> This means that in the Java Portlet case the WSRP producer container
>> needs to also parse the portlet markup and add the wsrp namespacing.
>> This doesn't sound to efficient to me...
>>
>> Stefan
>>
>> Richard Jacob wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, (sorry, lengthy)
>>>
>>> I think as the current proposal is in the spec, it is conceptually
>>> broken.
>>> I have the following concerns/questions/comments concerning the field
>>> and
>>> section 10.4 in the spec:
>>>
>>> 1. namespacing of form parameters in general

>>> a portlet needs to receive back exactly the value it placed in the
>>> markup.
>>> Otherwise the portlet *never* will be able to find its encoded
>>> parameters
>>> in the received parameter map.
>>> E.g. if the portlet namespaces the field name "field1" with namespace
>>> "NS1"
>>> it puts "NS1field1" into the markup.
>>> This is exactly the value it need to search for in an incomming
>>> parameter
>>> map. i.e. it wouldn't search for just "field1".