Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Groups - SecurityQuestions.xls uploaded

After talkign with my security guys some more we may need to dig deeper to see if we really have interoperability at this level.  Can folks investigate/answer:
    a) does the producer require/expect establishing consumer trust via WS-Security techniques as a prerequisite for using the UserName without password identity?  If so what techniques does it support [signing the username token and using the signature as the trust model]?  Please expand on the details -- for example which digital signature technologies does it support?
    b) How does the receiver implement Username without password?  I.e. is it merely the absence of the password field that indicates no password or is the password field sent with a value that signifies its empty [if so what is the value]? Something else?
    -Mike-

Rich Thompson wrote:

I agreed to provide a summarizing email proposing how we move forward after the initial discussion on this issue on the Interfaces SC call.

The base level goal is to define an interoperable means for propagating the user's identity to the Producer. Other possible goals (e.g. Consumer identity, metadata about supported/required protocols/tokens/algorithms, etc) haven't achieved either as broad a consensus on their need or feasibility to address on this first pass. I would encourage those with a definitive proposal regarding such goals to start an email thread around their goal and proposal once the discussion around this base one draws toward a conclusion.

The clear thing from the answers we received is that the UserName token is broadly supported. At the minimum, we can encourage it to be the default means for transferring the user's identity. Therefore, I propose adding the following to the first paragraph of 11.2:

As the UserName token, defined by WS-Security, appears to have the broadest implementation support, it is RECOMMENDED that Consumers use the UserName token to transfer the user's identity to the Producer unless either policy prevents the Consumer from making such a transfer or a different means has been mutually configured for transferring the user's identity to the Producer.

Comments?

Rich

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

02/22/06 11:54 AM

wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org
cc

Subject
Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Groups - SecurityQuestions.xls uploaded

Here is the promised spreadsheet summarizing the answers received. At a high level, there appear to be two ways to transfer multiple IDs which multiple companies support:

1. User ID via WSS token; Consumer ID via SSL/TLS

2. User ID via WSS token; Consumer ID via digital signature

Also, # companies supporting a particular WSS token (out of 6 answers received):

6 - UserName

4 - SAML (did everyone mean the explicit "sendvouches" Mike referred to?)

3 - Digital Signature

2 - UserName/PW

1 - Liberty

Hopefully this provides a little fodder for thought ahead of the Interfaces SC call to discuss next steps.

Rich

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

02/22/06 11:40 AM

wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org
cc

Subject
[wsrp-interfaces] Groups - SecurityQuestions.xls uploaded

The document named SecurityQuestions.xls has been submitted by Rich
Thompson to the WSRP Interfaces SC document repository.

Document Description:
Summaries extracted from answers to security questions.

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interfaces/document.php?document_id=16838

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interfaces/download.php/16838/SecurityQuestions.xls

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application
may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste

-OASIS Open Administration