Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] XMLPortletRequest Proposal

I like the general nature of this proposal, but in looking at detail at it, I realized that it addresses an intermediate set of goals rather than one of the three set out on our calls. We had discussed three interesting cases:
1. Portlets doing AJAX without Consumer involvement/knowledge
2. Consumers leveraging AJAX to enable partial page updates (i.e. independent of what the Portlet is doing)
3. Consumer-Portlet cooperation such that a Portlet can leverage the browser-side nature of AJAX on top of the Consumer doing partial page updates.

This proposal hits an intermediate goal where the Consumer does partial page updates only in the case of the Portlet using AJAX to activate URLs (i.e. a Portlet submitting a URL not using AJAX would cause a full page refresh). Whether there is sufficient value to add this to the set of goals or simply expand this proposal to complete the 3rd set of goals should be one of our items to discuss.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

06/30/06 05:20 PM

wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[wsrp-interfaces] XMLPortletRequest Proposal

I posted a rough draft of the proposal at

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/wsrp/XMLPortletRequest_Proposal

The key objective of the proposal is to allow portlets do Ajax
programming and still participate in the three-phase lifecycle.

Subbu
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
by email and then delete it.