Subject: Re: [wsrp-interfaces] Multi-section rendering (Renamed)

This was the point of the "shared" resource cacheability level + URL extension I talked about in my e-mail on 7/3 and copied below.  Some of this has already been added to JSR286

In order to enable sharing of the resource between different portlet applications
the portlet can set a unique ID, preferable a QName in the QName.toString
format, via the property key ResourceURL.SHARED on the resource URL. This
unique ID is intended to allow the portal application identifying resource links
that identify the same resource (e.g. in case of a JavaScript library it could
20 include the namespace + name of the library + version). All downstream URLs
will be assumed to have the same sharing ID if no other unique ID is specified.
For resource URLs that have set the ResourceURL.SHARED property the portlet
may not get called for serving the resource as it may already be cached on the
portlet application when serving the same resource for a different portlet.
25 URLs of the type FULL have the highest cacheability in the browser as they do
not depend on any state of the portlet or page.

From e-mail sent on 7/3:
Since we said we should roll this comment into the Interfaces subcommittee -- For discussion during Thursday's Interfaces concall:

I propose we expand section 10.2.1.1.3 to include 2 new resourcecacheability levels (and rename some of the existing ones):

10.2.1.1.3.6 wsrp-resourceCacheability

Since resources can contain URIs which the Consumer is required to rewrite, including those with a wsrp-urlType of render or blockingAction, the Consumer will typically place the state information needed to do such rewriting on the resource URI. This decreases the likelihood of the resulting URI being fetched from a browser or web cache simply due to a small change in some portion of this state. This portlet url parameter provides an indication to the Consumer that it can limit the amount of state it places on the URI for the resource such that the likelihood of a subsequent browser access being served from a browser/web cache is increased. This parameter has five defined values ():

  1. shared: Resource URLs specifying a value of "shared" are telling the Consumer that it doesn't need to place any reference to the portlet or the producer managing this portlet on the URI and that the resource URL itself is encoded in a means to ensure it represents a unique resource across a shared (multiple producer) environment.  For out-of-band resource references this generally takes the form of using a guid in the target name of the wsrp-url.  For in-band resource this typically relies on an URL extension that allows the Consumer to map this resource reference to a previously defined resource guid.  As a result the resource generation SHOULD NOT depend on a non-null PortletContext or RegistrationContext or any related portlet state such as the NavigationalContext, mode or windowState.  In addition it MUST NOT use the wsrp-namespace token or include URIs with a wsrp-urlType of render or blockingAction. While the Consumer is required by the protocol to supply values relative to mode and windowState, those supplied values are not required to be respective to current values for any Portlet.  The resource can still require Consumer rewriting, but the Consumer will only be able to do resource URI rewriting. These restrictions apply not only to the resource directly referenced, but also to any secondary resources the resource references, either directly or indirectly.

  2. producer:  Resource URLs specifying a value of "producer" are telling the Consumer that it does not need to place any reference to the portlet on the URI.  As a result the resource generation SHOULD NOT depend on a non-null PortletContext or any related portlet state such as the NavigationalContext, mode or windowState.  In addition it MUST NOT use the wsrp-namespace token or include URIs with a wsrp-urlType of render or blockingAction. While the Consumer is required by the protocol to supply values relative to mode and windowState, those supplied values are not required to be respective to current values for any Portlet.  The resource can still require Consumer rewriting, but the Consumer will only be able to do resource URI rewriting. These restrictions apply not only to the resource directly referenced, but also to any secondary resources the resource references, either directly or indirectly.

  3. portlet (renamed from full): Resource URIs specifying a value of "portlet" are telling the Consumer that it does not need to place any portlet state on the URI. As a result, the resource generation SHOULD NOT depend on the NavigationalContext, mode or windowState and the generated resource MUST NOT include URIs with a wsrp-urlType of render or blockingAction. While the Consumer is required by the protocol to supply values relative to mode and windowState, those supplied values are not required to be the respective current values for the Portlet. However, if the Consumer's implementation style permits it to supply the current value for any of the excluded items, it is encouraged to supply those current values. The resource can still require Consumer rewriting, but the Consumer will only be able to do namespace rewriting and resource URI rewriting. These restrictions apply not only to the resource directly referenced, but also to any secondary resources the resource references, either directly or indirectly.

  4. portletState: Resource URIs specifying a value of "portletState" are telling the Consumer that the resource needs access to the portlet state (e.g. NavigationalContext), but will not require Consumer processing which needs the state of any other portlet. This restriction increases the cacheability of the resource over specifying a value of "page" (e.g. for the duration of a user interacting with some other portlet), but the generated resource MUST NOT include URIs with a wsrp-urlType of render or blockingAction. The resource can still require Consumer rewriting, but the Consumer will only be able to do namespace rewriting and resource URI rewriting. These restrictions apply not only to the resource directly referenced, but also to any secondary resources the resource references, either directly or indirectly, unless such a secondary resource sets a value of "full" for the wsrp-resourceCacheability portlet url parameter, at which point the tighter restrictions associated with "full" will apply to that resource and any others it references.

  5. page: Resource URIs specifying a value of "page" are telling the Consumer that this resource is no more cacheable than the Consumer's page. Normally this occurs if either the referenced resource or a secondary resource which this resource MAY contain URIs with a wsrp-urlType of render or blockingAction. This value for the wsrp-resourceCacheability portlet url parameter informs the Consumer that it will need the state required to provide proper rewriting of such URIs when the user agent requests the resource which the URI references. This is the default value for all resource URIs which do not specify this portlet url parameter.

Note that this portlet url parameter only impacts Consumer URL rewriting as the templates related to resource URIs provide other means to achieve the equivalent functionality (see [Section 6.1.3] and [Section 10.2.2.9]).

In addition we obviously need to define the details of what the in-band getResource receives for the two new cache levels (well just producer actually -- as in-band sharing relies on an undefined (future extension).  For the "producer" case I suggest we allow PortletContext to be nil.  Furthermore we would have to specify that the values of RuntimeContext.namespacePrefix and RuntimeContext.portletInstanceKey are undefined and can't be relied on.
     -Mike-

Michael Freedman wrote: I want to discuss whether we have enough resource cacheability levels and if so whether the full level is sufficiently defined.  I am interested in the use cases where one wants resource caching in the browser on either a per producer level and/or shared across multiple producers (potentially on different servers).

Per producer use case:  A JSR portlet application exposes a single wsrp producer.  Its quite common for portlets in this application to share resources.  How do our resource cacheability levels allow this to be expressed for in-band and out-of-band resources?

Multiple producer use case:  More and more portlet environments are relying on sophisticated MVC systems to develop/run/support their portlets.  These MVC systems often depend on a slew of javascript and even UI based resources.  As these exist at a "platform" level vs. application level its common for distinct producers to rely on the same underlying platform.  Because the volume of such resources can be large its important to share (the browser caching) of these resources as much as possible.  How does our resource cacheability levels allow this to be expressed for in-band and out-of-band resources?

The concern I have is that our definition of the "full" level only talks about omitting portlet state.  For the out-of-protocol case one still seems to need to encode the portletid (or the actual namespaceid) because "full" still requires the consumer to be able to support the namespace tag.  For the in-procotol case we haven't defined a meaning for dispatching a getResource to an empty/null PortletContext.   Thoughts?
   -Mike-

Rich Thompson wrote:

One might think that the Consumer could simply filter the list of resources such that each is included only once per page, but such an approach is problematic. Most resources are not "shareable"; that is, they are not fully instance based such that two uses do not end up stepping on each other. Unless a resource is known to be shareable, the only safe thing for the Consumer to do on an html page is to wrap portlets with a second reference to a resource in an IFrame such that the browser provides the isolation that is potentially required. The item this point out to me is that we do not include a means to indicate a resource is shareable today (note this is not equivalent to being broadly cacheable) ... perhaps that needs to be added.

Rich