Subject: Re: [wsrp-interop] Eureka!

Title:
Thanks again. In the interests of interoperability, could you try forcing a reconnect now, and we'll see whether our JVM recovers or not!

I assume our registration handle will still be valid (but the session won't).

Dave

Richard Jacob wrote:
So we had two good guesses today :-)
In general dyndns is simple: you have one registered hostname.domain.
Everytime we get a new IP address associated we ask the dyndns server
(which is an implementation of dynamicDNS) to update our IP Address, i.e.
the A record in the DNS database (we could also do it for MX records and so
on).
Why we need this is because we have a standard internet provider over adsl
which disconnects us after being online for 24 hours, thanks to some linux
scripts :-) we discover that and reconnect immediatly - that's the time
when we get a new address assigned.

I wonder that the JDK implementation doesn't handle the standard way of
expiration handling in the domain name system. At dyndns we have a very
short expiry set on our records so that secondary and caching name servers
(and resolvers) drop that record and retrieve it again from the
authoritative DNS of the dyndns.org domain.

I can force a disconnect/reconnect if you want to test this now, just let
me know...

This is a good point for the primer again, I think!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

|         |           David Ward       |
|         |           <david.ward@oracl|
|         |           e.com>           |
|         |           06/17/2003 04:21 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       David Ward <david.ward@oracle.com>                                                                                               |
  |       cc:       Richard Jacob/Germany/IBM@IBMDE, wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org                                                               |
  |       Subject:  [wsrp-interop] Eureka!                                                                                                           |

The problem was that the java.net.InetAddress class by default caches IP
addresses forever once it has resolved them once. With a dynamic name like
wsrp.dyndns.org, this was bound to cause problems - I gather that your
server reassociates itself with a new IP address every so often. (Don't
know exactly how dyndns works!)

If we were running on JDK 1.4, it appears we would be able to control the
"time to live" for cached IP addresses through a security policy. However,
it seems that the 'private' sun.net.inetaddr.ttl System property mentioned
here also has the same effect on JDK 1.3.

I have restarted our servlet container JVM with the sun.net.inetaddr.ttl
System property set to 120 (2 minutes). So far, the producer seems to be
running fine on portalstandards.oracle.com. We'll just need to wait and see
whether it remains so when you next acquire a new IP address!

I don't know whether it would be worthwhile including this useful gem of
information in any of the WSRP literature - if you want your Java consumer
to work with producers with dynamic IP addresses, be aware of these
settings.

Thanks

Dave

David Ward wrote:
      Hi Richard

      Thanks for investigating this. I've just realised how cool the WS-I
      testing tool is (the log file looked great once I installed all the
      XSL). I'll try to look into getting it installed on our environment.

      If you saw my previous message, you'll know that your theory was
      correct, and our proxy was the source of the problems we were having
      when the HTTP 1.0 Keep-Alive header was sent. It's only our runtime
      component that uses connection persistence (for the initCookie /
      getMarkup / performBlockingAction) calls, and it's only in our
      internal testing environment where we need to use a proxy for this
      component. In the portalstandards.oracle.com environment, these calls
      do not need to be proxied.

      The successful calls you have in your log file where the connection
      actually was persisted were made from the portalstandards
      environment. Here we are experiencing a different problem - the calls
      only work when we register with an IP address rather than a domain
      name. This is weird, because I can ping and telnet to the domain name
      from the same machine with no problems. Any ideas?

      Thanks again

      Dave

      Richard Jacob wrote:
            Hi David,

            what you state concerning HTTP keep-alive is correct. I'll try
            to summerize
            and reword to check if we have the same understanding:
            HTTP 1.0 is by default request/response oriented without
            keeping the
            connection open, thus every new request opens a new socket and
            closes this
            after the resonse is received.
            To keep the connection open among the request/response
            messages, the HTTP
            1.0 client sends a connection: keep-alive header. If the server
            supports
            this it send a connection: keep-alive in the response to
            indicate that the
            connection is not closed and can be reused.
            HTTP 1.1 remains the connection open by default. The
            connection: keep-alive
            is nearly meaningless in HTTP 1.1.
            If the server wants to close the connection it sends
            connection: close in
            its response. If it doesn't do so, the connection is kept open.

            I checked the log files which monitored the conversation
            between our
            producer and your consumer and between our producer and
            Citrix's consumer
            (thanks Andre for driving that test).
            See attached files, 8082 is Citrix, 8083 is Oracle.

            (See attached file: log8082.xml)(See attached file:
            log8083.xml)

            In Citrix's case the keep-alive seem to work. Andre's messages
            start with
            message 13, which is conversation 12. As you can see all the
            request/response up to message 66 are in the same conversation,
            i.e.
            connection.
            67 starts a new conversation (maybe because the client or
            server decided to
            close the connection in between).
            In Oracle's case we see a lot of different connections for each
            request/response.
            But interestingly messages 135-138 and 141-144 share the same
            connection.
            Looking at 1-134 it seems that you use a proxy in between for
            the
            conversation, see header:
            Via: 1.1 inet-nc02 (NetCache NetApp/5.3.1R3)

            In 135 you are using a direct connection (no via: header).
            That's a guess but maybe the proxy in between doesn't support
            keep-alive?
            or is a 1.0 server?
            Currently I have no idea why the connection is closed after 138
            and
            reopened for 139/140 and then again for 141...

            Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

                    Richard Jacob
            IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
            Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
            Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
            Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

            |         |           David Ward       |
            |         |           <david.ward@oracl|
            |         |           e.com>           |
            |         |           06/16/2003 10:12 |

            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

              |       To:       Richard Jacob/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
            |
              |       cc:       wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org
            |
              |       Subject:  Re: [wsrp-interop] Verify interoperability
            with Oracle Portal

            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

            Richard

            I am attaching the trace I got from a TCP tunnel when our
            Portal tries to
            make consecutive initCookie and getMarkup requests through the
            same pooled
            TCP connection. After further investigation, I found that the
            "Keep-Alive"
            value we send in the Connection header of the first request is
            actually
            HTTP 1.0 semantics that can be ignored by an HTTP 1.1 server.
            That's why it
            doesn't appear in the second request. An HTTP 1.1 server would
            return
            Connection: close if it doesn't want the connection to be kept
            open, since
            the default is that the connection is kept alive. An HTTP 1.0
            server would
            set the Keep-Alive header on the response if it wanted the
            connection to be
            kept open. Because we get an HTTP 1.1 response with no
            Connection close
            header, our client assumes it can keep the connection open and
            send another
            request on it, but this doesn't seem to be working.

            We are using the same HTTPClient library we have relied on for
            years (not
            that that means it might not have bugs!). You can force your
            JVM to use it
            instead of the regular JDK HttpURLConnection by setting the
            java.protocol.handler.pkgs system property to HTTPClient.

            Thanks

            Dave

            David Ward wrote:

                  Hi David, thanks.

                  1. yes we have this namespacing issue still open due to
            the JSR168
                  container reference implementation.
                  Once this is changed on the container side we can skip
            the
                  namespacing
                  here.
                  2. strange, we tested with both AXIS HTTP1.0 -> no keep
            alive and
                  with
                  .NETs HTTP1.1 and keep alive set.
                  Citrix's consumer also sets the keep-alive flag.
                  Andre, can you confirm please, and rerun your consumer
            against our
                  producer
                  over the monitoring port (8082).
                  David could you also try to connect via the monitoring
            port 8083,
                  please.
                  Maybe we discover something.

                  I'll attach one WSI-monitor file showing a conversation
            between
                  Citrix and
                  IBM, here the keep alive seem to work. You should have
            the xsl files
                  (from
                  the WS-I monitor) placed in the directory "../xsl"
            relative to your
                  log
                  file directory to generate a user-friedly output.

                  (See attached file: log8082.xml.030606150200.xml)(See
            attached file:
                  assertions.xsl)(See attached file: common.xsl)(See
            attached file:
                  log.xsl)
                  (See attached file: report.xsl)

                  Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

                          Richard Jacob
                  IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
                  Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
                  Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
                  Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

                  |         |           David Ward       |
                  |         |           <david.ward@oracl|
                  |         |           e.com>           |
                  |         |           06/16/2003 11:37 |

            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

                    |       To:       Richard Jacob/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
                         |
                    |       cc:       wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org
                         |
                    |       Subject:  Re: [wsrp-interop] Verify
            interoperability with
                  Oracle Portal          |

            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

                  Thanks

                  I have altered our WSDL to reference

            http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrp/specifications/version1/wsrp_v1_bindings.wsdl

                  in the import, and will make this fix available when we
            next patch
                  our
                  site!

                  We got the IBM portlet displaying, but there's a few
            glitches I want
                  talk about. I'll investigate further as soon as I get the
            chance,
                  but:
                        The portlet seems to be namespacing the input
            fields in its
                  form. Is
                        this required?
                        The producer can't seem to cope with HTTP 1.1 keep
            alive
                  behaviour -
                        we can only register the producer when we turn off
            connection
                  pooling
                  Regards

                  David

                  Richard Jacob wrote:
                        Hi David,

                        there is an absolut location for the wsdl.
                        You can find them here:

            http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrp/specifications/version1/wsrp_v1_types.xsd

            http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrp/specifications/version1/wsrp_v1_interfaces.wsdl

            http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrp/specifications/version1/wsrp_v1_bindings.wsdl

                          See chapter 14 of the spec or the wsrp group's
            home page.

                        Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

                                Richard Jacob

                        IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
                        Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
                        Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
                        Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

                        |         |           David Ward       |
                        |         |           <david.ward@oracl|
                        |         |           e.com>           |
                        |         |           06/12/2003 02:21 |

            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

            Fischer3/Germany/IBM@IBMDE

                  <Michael.Freedman@oracle.com>,
                        wsrp-interop <wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org>

                          |       Subject:  Re: [wsrp-interop] Verify
            interoperability
                  with
                        Oracle Portal

            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

                        This is indeed a bug. We will need to fix the WSDL
            we return so
                  that
                        the
                        imports actually resolve to a location on our
            webserver.

                        It would be useful if there was an absolute
            location on OASIS
                  that
                        everyone
                        could use in their imports.

                        Regards

                        David

                        Peter Fischer3 wrote:
                              Hi Mike,

                              our consumer is having problems reading the
            wsdl you
                  provided.
                              It imports the binding wsdl like this:

                              <import namespace
            ="urn:oasis:names:tc:wsrp:v1:bind"
                  location="
                              wsrp_v1_bindings.wsdl" />

                              but at this location (realtive to

            http://portalstandards.oracle.com/wsrp/jaxrpc?WSDL)no
                  such
                        document
                              can be
                              found.

                              Should a WSRP consumer be able to handle that
            by using a
                  local
                              version of
                              the wsdl or must the producer provide a
            correct /
                  complete
                        wsdl?

                              Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

                              Peter

                              "Don't think of the problem - think of the
            solution!" ;-)

                              IBM WebSphere Portal Development Boeblingen,
            Germany
                              Phone: ++49-7031-16-4497
                              eMail: peter.fischer@de.ibm.com

                              |         |           Michael Freedman  |
                              |         |           <Michael.Freedman@|
                              |         |           oracle.com>       |
                              |         |           06/10/2003 07:45  |
                              |         |           PM                |

            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

            <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>,
                        wsrp-interop
                              <wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                |       cc:
                              |
                                |       Subject:  [wsrp-interop] Verify
                  interoperability with
                              Oracle Portal

            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

                              As of yesterday, Monday June9th, Oracle is
            publically
                  hosting a
                              pre-release version of its portal
            implementing the TC 1.0
                  WSRP
                              specification so other vendors/customers can
            verify their

                              implementations interoperate with Oracle.  By
            making this

                        publically
                              available we hope to accelerate the use and
                  implementation of
                              interoperable WSRP producers. The site is
            available at:
                               http://portalstandards.oracle.com.
            Additonal supporting

                        information
                              is
                              available if you click on the "Go back to
            Oracle9iAS
                  Portal
                        Center"
                              link
                              on this sites welcome page.  To use the site
            [to test
                  your
                        producer]
                              you
                              must be a logged in "Oracle Technology
            Network" user.
                        accounts
                              are free and available to all.  Merely click
            on the
                  "login"
                        link in
                              the
                              upper right corner and either login to an
            existing
                  account or
                        sign up
                              for a new one.  Once logged in you will be
            able to
                  register
                        your
                              producer(s) with the Oracle Portal and add
            portlets from
                  this
                              producer
                              to your own sandboxed portal page.  The site
            contains
                        instructions on
                              how to do this as well as an existing sample
            page
                  containing
                        portlets
                              from the Oracle WSRP Sample Producer.  This
            later is also

                        hosted
                              publically so other WSRP consumers can test
            if they
                        work/interoperate
                              with Oracle's WSRP/JSR 168 container.  The
            WSDL for this
                        producer is
                              available at
                  http://portalstandards.oracle.com/wsrp/jaxrpc?WSDL
                        .
                               Though the site requests problems/support
            issues be
                  directed
                              discussion lists/support, we prefer you use
            the
                              wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org mailing
            list to
                  communicate
                              questions/issues/problems.  Dave and I track
            this list
                  more
                        closely
                              ensuring faster turn around on reported
            issues.

                                   -Mike-

                              You may leave a Technical Committee at any
            time by
                  visiting

            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interop/members/leave_workgroup.php

                        --

            |--------------------+---------------------------+-----------------------|

                        |                    |                           |

                        |     David Ward     |  Oracle European          |

                        |      Principal     |  Development Centre       |

                        |  Software Engineer |  520 Oracle Parkway       |
                        Email: |
                        |    Oracle Portal   |  Thames Valley Park       |
                        david |
                        |                    |  Reading                  |
                        .ward |
                        |                    |  Berkshire RG6 1RA        |
                        @orac |
                        |                    |  UK                       |
                        le.co |
                        |                    |                           |

                        |                    |                           |
                        Tel: |
                        |                    |                           |
                        +44   |
                        |                    |                           |
                        118   |
                        |                    |                           |
                        924   |
                        |                    |                           |
                        5079  |
                        |                    |                           |
                        Fax: |
                        |                    |                           |
                        +44   |
                        |                    |                           |
                        118   |
                        |                    |                           |
                        924   |
                        |                    |                           |
                        5005  |
                        |                    |                           |

                        |                    |                           |

            |--------------------+---------------------------+-----------------------|

[...]

            Listen Port: 2222
            Target Host: wsrp.dyndns.org
            Target Port: 8083
            ==== Request ====
            POST /wsrp/wsrp4j/WSRPBaseService HTTP/1.1
            Host: ukp16267.uk.oracle.com:2222
            Connection: Keep-Alive, TE
            TE: trailers, deflate, gzip, compress

            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
               <env:Envelope xmlns:env="
            http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
            xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="
            http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:ns0
            ="urn:oasis:names:tc:wsrp:v1:types">
                  <env:Body>
                     <ns0:initCookie>
                        <ns0:registrationContext>

            <ns0:registrationHandle>192.168.200.1_1055790421716_9</ns0:registrationHandle>

                        </ns0:registrationContext>
                     </ns0:initCookie>
                  </env:Body>
               </env:Envelope>
            POST /wsrp/wsrp4j/WSRPBaseService HTTP/1.1
            Host: ukp16267.uk.oracle.com:2222
            Connection: TE
            TE: trailers, deflate, gzip, compress

               <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                  <env:Envelope xmlns:env="
            http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
            xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="
            http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:ns0
            ="urn:oasis:names:tc:wsrp:v1:types">
                     <env:Body>
                        <ns0:getMarkup>
                           <ns0:registrationContext>

            <ns0:registrationHandle>192.168.200.1_1055790421716_9</ns0:registrationHandle>

                           </ns0:registrationContext>
                           <ns0:portletContext>

            <ns0:portletHandle>0.192.168.200.1_1055790532049_10</ns0:portletHandle>

                              <ns0:portletState/>
                           </ns0:portletContext>
                           <ns0:runtimeContext>

            <ns0:userAuthentication>wsrp:password</ns0:userAuthentication>

            <ns0:portletInstanceKey>253_34169_253_1_1</ns0:portletInstanceKey>

                              <ns0:namespacePrefix>
            __ns253_34169_253_1_1_</ns0:namespacePrefix>
                           </ns0:runtimeContext>
                           <ns0:userContext>

            <ns0:userContextKey>DXWARD4[1]</ns0:userContextKey>
                           </ns0:userContext>
                           <ns0:markupParams>

            <ns0:secureClientCommunication>false</ns0:secureClientCommunication>

                              <ns0:locales>en-gb</ns0:locales>
                              <ns0:mimeTypes>text/html</ns0:mimeTypes>
                              <ns0:mimeTypes>text/xml</ns0:mimeTypes>

            <ns0:mimeTypes>text/vnd.oracle.mobilexml</ns0:mimeTypes>
                              <ns0:mode>wsrp:view</ns0:mode>

            <ns0:windowState>wsrp:normal</ns0:windowState>
                              <ns0:clientData>
                                 <ns0:userAgent>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
            MSIE 6.0;
            Windows NT 5.0; Q312461) RPT-HTTPClient/0.3-3</ns0:userAgent>
                                 <ns0:extensions>
                                    <oracle:GenericExtension xmlns:oracle="
            http://xmlns.oracle.com/portal/wsrp/v1">
                                       <ns0:NamedString name
            ="X-Oracle-Device.Orientation">
                                          <ns0:value>landscape</ns0:value>
                                       </ns0:NamedString>
                                       <ns0:NamedString name
            ="X-Oracle-Device.MaxDocSize">
                                          <ns0:value>0</ns0:value>
                                       </ns0:NamedString>
                                       <ns0:NamedString name
            ="X-Oracle-Device.Class">
                                          <ns0:value>pcbrowser</ns0:value>
                                       </ns0:NamedString>
                                       <ns0:NamedString name
            ="X-Oracle-Device.Secure">
                                          <ns0:value>false</ns0:value>
                                       </ns0:NamedString>
                                    </oracle:GenericExtension>
                                 </ns0:extensions>
                              </ns0:clientData>

            <ns0:navigationalState></ns0:navigationalState>

            <ns0:markupCharacterSets>utf-8</ns0:markupCharacterSets>

            <ns0:validNewModes>wsrp:view</ns0:validNewModes>

            <ns0:validNewModes>wsrp:edit</ns0:validNewModes>

            <ns0:validNewModes>wsrp:help</ns0:validNewModes>

            <ns0:validNewWindowStates>wsrp:normal</ns0:validNewWindowStates>

            <ns0:validNewWindowStates>wsrp:maximized</ns0:validNewWindowStates>

            <ns0:validNewWindowStates>wsrp:minimized</ns0:validNewWindowStates>

                           </ns0:markupParams>
                        </ns0:getMarkup>
                     </env:Body>
                  </env:Envelope>
            ==== Response ====
            HTTP/1.1 200 OK
            Transfer-Encoding: chunked
            Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:18:53 GMT
            Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=5934EF2F75DD19FA504553E09B8C2527;
            Path=/wsrp
            Server: Apache Coyote/1.0
            Via: 1.1 inet-nc01 (NetCache NetApp/5.3.1R3)

            14c
            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
               <soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="
            http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsd="
            http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="
            http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                  <soapenv:Body>
                     <initCookieResponse xmlns
            ="urn:oasis:names:tc:wsrp:v1:types"/>
                  </soapenv:Body>
               </soapenv:Envelope>
            0

            HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error
            Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:18:54 GMT
            Server: NetCache appliance (NetApp/5.3.1R3)

               <HTML>
                  <!-- $Id:
            //depot/prod/ontap/Rbrutus/prod/netcache/errors/500.html#1
            $ -->
                     <HEAD>
                        <TITLE>500 Server Error</TITLE>
                     </HEAD>
                     <BODY>
                        <H1>Server Error</H1>
                        <H4>The following error occurred:
                           <P>Bad URL</H4>
                           <HR>Please contact the administrator.</BODY>
                        </HTML>

            You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interop/members/leave_workgroup.php

            You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
            http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interop/members/leave_workgroup.php

      --
|--------------------+---------------------------+-----------------------|
|                    |                           |                       |

Principal Software Engineer
Oracle Portal
Oracle European Development Centre
520 Oracle Parkway