Subject: Re: [wsrp-interop] cloneBeforeWrite when using ProducerOfferedPortlets

Title:
Shouldn't you be setting state change to "cloneBeforeWrite" in this case? As far as I understand, the producer-offered entities are read-only.

I still have questions about the meaning of hasUserSpecificState from Andre's testing. Does hasUserSpecificState=false mean the consumer should never have to call cloneEntity() or send "cloneBeforeWrite"? If not, then what is the purpose of this flag?

Andre's portlets are returning hasUserSpecificState=false, even though they expect to be able to update state and hence clone new copies of the producer offered entity.

Regards

Dave

Richard Jacob wrote:
Hi,

the Oracle producer throws a StateChangeRequiredFault if our consumer uses
a producer offered portlet (POP) and wants to change the persistent state
in edit mode of portlet E:0:default for example.
We have the InteractionParams.stateChange set to "readwrite" allowing the
producer to write.

I think the flag hasUserSpecificState in PortletDescription encourages the
consumer to clone, but it is not required to clone.
I think if a consumer using a POP allows the portlet to change its state,
the producer should perform a clone before write here.
The spec says for the PortletStateChangeRequiredFault:  Used when a Portlet
needs to modify its persistent state, but has been prevented from doing so.
So my understanding is that this fault should only be thrown if the
consumer indicates "readonly" to the portlet but the portlet needs to
change its persistent state on an action.

If we interpreted the flag hasUserSpecificState=true as the requirement to
clone, producers not exposing the PortletManagement interface could never
have portlets that change their persistent state.

What do people think?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interop/members/leave_workgroup.php

--

David Ward