Subject: Re: Oracle producer throwing fault on getServiceDescription

Subbu

This is indeed a misleading phrase in the spec, which seems to imply
"!requiresRegistration => !(registration supported)" [Read "A => B" as
"implies", i.e. "if A then B"]. However, this is not the part of the
spec which specifies the meaning of the requiresRegistration flag, so
shouldn't be taken too literally.

 From the definition of requiresRegistration:

    requiresRegistration: A boolean indicating whether or not the
    Producer requires Consumer registration. If requiresRegistration is
    set to “false” then it MUST be valid to not pass a
    RegistrationContext parameter to all operations with this parameter.
    If requiresRegistration is set to “true” then the Producer MUST
    return a fault message when no RegistrationContext is supplied to an
    operation, other than getServiceDescription(), which takes this field.

So we definitely have "requiresRegistration => registration supported",
which is logically equivalent to "!(registraion supported) =>
!requiresRegistration", but it still doesn't state the converse, so it
is still valid for us to assume registration is supported when
!requiresRegistration.

Also, from the description of the registration port type

    A Producer that supports in-band registration of Consumers exposes
    the optional registration interface.

This also seems to imply that if the interface is exposed by the
producer, the producer supports registration (whether or not
requiresRegistration is set).

So could someone from the TC please clarify that it is wrong for a
Consumer to assume "!requiresRegistration => !(registration supported)"
and perhaps think about fixing the reference that Subbu mentions?

Dave