Subject: RE: [wsrp-interop] Multi-valued portlet properties

I'd say we should use solution b), sending two values with the same name, as a recommended practice for the 1.0 specification.  We should consider this change for 2.0 when we cast a close on preference storage.

ross

-----Original Message-----
From: Subbu Allamaraju [mailto:subbu@bea.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 8:55 AM
To: wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsrp-interop] Multi-valued portlet properties

To continue the discussion on the multi-valued portlet properties issue
that I brought up a couple of weeks ago, here is a summary of options:

a. Use the predefined StringArray type. Producer introduces a custom
wrapper type to hold StringArray. Consumers introspect the response to
find the wrapper type.

b. Add multiple Property elements for each value of a property. So, if a
property "p1" has two values "v1" and "v2", the consumer will receive
two Property elements one with value "v1" and the other with value "v2"
and both with the same name "p1".

Arguments for (a) - clean, typed
Arguments against (a) - needs a schema extension, can't interoperate
without introspection

Arguments for (a) - typed, does not require a schema extension
Arguments against (b) - multiple properties with the same name might
confuse consumers (although, with the current schema, it is perfectly
legal to send multiple properties with the same)

Regards,

Subbu