Subject: RE: [wsrp-interop] draft change request

Definitely stronger than I would prefer and an errata candidate, as the "" replacement value would then have a new special meaning.

Is "" then ever a valid value for wsrp-mode & wsrp-windowState or does "where the Producer has no value" imply that the current mode & windowState MUST now be sent back?

Unfortunately, I will not be able to call in at the start of the meeting tomorrow, so would just like to briefly re-iterate my opinion on this from last week. Such a restriction is likely to (needlessly) cause interoperability problems (due to producers that omit to replace some token) and consumers will still need to protect themselves (from such producers).

If we accepted this change request, I would filter written URLs at the producer so that any remaining "{wsrp-*}" gets replaced with "". If we also require the current mode and window state to be written into the URL then that would be even more conformance tax IMHO. I would prefer only to have MUSTs for the tokens that are actually needed to be replaced to achieve consumer/producer interoperability.

regards,
Andre
-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 19 November 2003 14:44
To: wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsrp-interop] draft change request

Here is a draft for the change request I was asked to draft. I know this is stronger than some would prefer, but hopefully it gives us a good strawman for the discussion.Document: Spec

Section: 10.2.2 (Producer URL Writing)
Requested by: Interop SC

Old text: These tokens are enclosed in curly braces (i.e. "{" and "}") and contain the name of the portlet URL parameter that should be replaced.

New text: These tokens are enclosed in curly braces (i.e. "{" and "}") and contain the name of the portlet URL parameter which the Producer MUST replace (using "" for those parameters where the Producer has no value).

Errata?

Reasoning: The current ambiguity will make for a lot of additional Consumer logic to protect itself.