Subject: cloning bahaviour

Hi folks,

I have some questions regarding cloning and would like to hear your
interpretations.
Especially I'm interested in the cloneBeforeWrite handling.

In the spec, section 6.3.2, page 43, lines 9-19 we say the following about
the portletStateChange flag set to cloneBeforeWrite:
1. if Producer clones the portlet first, persistent state changes are
handled as if readsWrite was set
2. if Producer does not clone the portlet, persistent state changes are
handled as if readOnly was set

My interpretation here is that implicit cloning on the Producer side is
optional, i.e. if cloneBeforeWrite is set, the Producer can choose not to
clone implicitly and throw a stateChangeRequired fault in the same way as
if would do so for readOnly set (of course in the case where persistent
state change is necessary).
In this case the Consumer is "forced" to explicitly clone the portlet first
and then to proceed.
So my questions are:
1. can a Producer throw a StateChangeRequired fault on a
performBlockingInteraction() if the portletStateChange field was set
cloneBeforeWrite?
2. Should in general Consumers interpret this StateChangeRequired fault as
an signal to explicit clone a portlet prior to proceeding?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com