Subject: Re: [wsrp-interop] cloneBeforeWrite for CCP

Rich has it right.
We alrady had this discussion about valid cloneBeforeWrite handling.
I think the protocol is strict enough here.
By setting the flag, the Consumer prohibts the Producer to write on the
CCP, any therefor must do a clone first.
It's perfectly legal and for the Producer to not to clone immediatly but
rather do it before a write attempt occurs, i.e. as long as there is no
need to make a copy, leave things as is.

With this handling you can perfectly implement your CCP sharing scenario, I
don't see a need for furhter restrictions in the protocol.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Standardization Technical Lead
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             Rich Thompson
             <richt2@us.ibm.co
                                       wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org
             08/25/2004 12:36                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [wsrp-interop] cloneBeforeWrite
                                       for CCP

The difference between 2 and 3 is whether the Producer will immediately
produce a clone when it is instructed that this user is not allowed to
update the portlet's configuration. I am quite sure we do not want to
encourage Producer's to do 2 as this will dramatically increase the number
of clones. The 3rd choice produces a clone if and only if one is needed.
The 1st choice is just the Producer saying it is unable to do such control
on cloning and therefore faults to the Consumer to manage the producing of
the clone.

Rich

 Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

 08/24/2004 05:31 PM                                                    To
                                                wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-o
                                                pen.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                                Re: [wsrp-interop]
                                                cloneBeforeWrite for CCP

This leaves one question open. With choices (1) and (3), what happens if
the Consumer is sharing a CCP for multiple users, and would like to
instruct the Producer to clone the CCP before making state changes?

Any reason why we can't require a stricter interpretation of
cloneBeforeWrite (an is option (2) below)?

Subbu

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-interop/members/leave_workgroup.php
.