Subject: Re: [wsrp-interop] WSRP CSS classes

My take at answers:

1. Anchors tags have no explicit CSS classes as the relevant ones are either defined by other standards (.visited, etc) or should inherit from the relevant container tag. This is particularly important when considering accessibility requirements.

2. Most, if not all, of the WSRP-defined CSS classes are designed to be used on containers of some sort. Whether that means body, div, span, td, etc depends on the markup language and style used. In particular, they are not specific to HTML.

3. Whether or not a particular container is a section, or a menu-item for that matter, is a choice when designing the markup layout rather than when defining the spec.

4. The inheritance of things like relative font sizes is a bit of a pain on the CSS level, but is best solved on the CSS level as well. In particular, I would note that a rule specifying that it matches a nesting of a classes (say a pair of portlet-section-body) will bind more tightly than one only matching the class on the element. This could be used to override the normal application of a relative change (e.g. font-size).

Rich

"Klein, Avi" <avi.klein@sap.com>

12/21/05 03:33 AM

<wsrp-interop@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
"Grigoriadis, Georgios" <georgios.grigoriadis@sap.com>
Subject
[wsrp-interop] WSRP CSS classes

Hi,

I would like to forward some questions presented by our look-and-feel group regarding the support of the WSRP defined CSS classes, maybe you have already tackled these questions before…

Thanks,

Avi.

Basically, I have the following questions for the technical committee:
1)     There are no particular classes for anchor tags. How will they be rendered?
- Can they carry any of the classes defined in the spec?
- Do we have to format the anchor directly, by formatting the ‘a’ tag?
- Do they have to be placed in a container that carries any of the classes defined in the spec?

2)     Is there any possibility to know where WSRP classes are used in the HTML. For example, a class like portlet-section-body, can it also be used in the body tag? Or can it only be used in any HTML element that is regarded as a body object or container in the eyes of the content provider? Or does it depend on whether the HTML element is a span or a div, as discribted in the spec?
3)     This question goes together with the previous somehow. The description of what the classes are to render is vague sometimes. The styles “portlet-font” and “portlet-section-body” are described as “normal text”. Sections are defined as mark up sections, like divs and spans. On the other hand, the example showing how to use the class “portlet-font” shows a div carrying the class “portlet-font”. Is it possible to give us a more elaborated specification? And is it possible to explain a section from a semantic perspective? Is every span a section?
4)     Each section class renders the font of a particular section part. The parts, on the other hand, can be nested into each other. If doing so, particular attributes, like relative font sizes, can be inherited. Is there a way to avoid this?

Avi Klein