wsrp-markup message

Subject: [wsrp-markup] [Fwd: JSR 168 URL types]

Heads up for those not on the interfaces list ... JSR 168 currently has
two types of URLs -- action URLs and render URLs.  Depending on how all
of this shakes out we may need/want to support both types in our URL
rewriting model.
    -Mike-
--- Begin Message ---
Mike, thanks for the head start.

The clarification you've requested follows.

It's a mix of the (a) and (b) options you have described.

There are two types of URLs, action URLs and URLs with no action. An
action URL will invoke the action handler and then the markup handler.
An URL with no action will invoke only the markup handler.

Both the action handler and the markup handler receive the client
request parameters. So in both cases (action or non-action URLs) the
markup handler receives the client request parameters.

This allows a portlet to do all its processing and markup generation
within the markup handler. This enables interoperability with
servlets/JSPs in a very simple way (Servlets/JSPs do not differentiate
between action and rendering; they have a single entry point, the
service method).

If we can align this between the two specifications, it would be much
easier for them to leverage each other.

Thanks and regards.

Alejandro