wsrp-markup message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-markup] Handling of attachments and/or large markup responses

First glance at the relevant pages says that both SOAP-Attachments and DIME
are in the process of being standarized, but aren't standards yet. Largest
positive for DIME would appear to be support for protocols other than SOAP
(remember that WSDL does not require SOAP be used to carry the messages)
while the largest positive for SOAP-Attachments would appear to be its
support in the Java web stack (ie. JAX-RPC). In both cases these result in
the message carrying a URI that resolves to another part in the message ...
would we have to specify one or the other as the transport mechanism, or
could we have a place for the URI in the message and point to both of these
as possible ways to carry the blob in the message?

As to Alejandro's #2, my understanding of Carsten's comment is that the
Producer could bundle things up in a single package when that makes sense.
Also, I would guess that bundling static files like gifs would not be such
an example as this significantly reduces the value of caching on the
Consumer for such resources, but that a dynamically generated dataset (eg.
a xforms model) used by the markup might.

                      Alejandro
                      Abdelnur                 To:
                      <alejandro.abdeln        cc:       WSRP-Markup <wsrp-markup@lists.oasis-open.org>
                      ur@sun.com>              Subject:  Re: [wsrp-markup] Handling of attachments and/or large
                                                markup responses
                      07/22/2002 11:01
                      AM

Carsten,

Interesting, now I have 2 questions.

(1) I've just looked at the JAX-RPC spec and it requires SOAP-
attachments for handling attachments. Would you give a pointer to the
interoperability information you are mentioning?

(2) Are you suggesting that a producer would bundle up all static
resources with the getFragment response and the consumer would cache
them so when the call of the client comes to the consumer -to the
resource [proxy] URL- the consumer has already the resource and it does
not need to make a call to the producer? Something like a pro-active cache?

Alejandro

JAX-RPC defines SOAP-Attachment

http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/understanding/gxa/default.asp?pull=/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/dimeindex.asp
)

> The latter seems to be the most interoperable one. What is the opinion of
> the comittee?
>
> If we agree on using attachments then we could allow this also as an
option
> for embedding resources (images, etc) in the returned markup in addition
> letting the consumer proxy these resources or embedding a direct link.
Any