wsrp-markup message

Subject: A consistent use-case for primer

Hi Folks,

After our primer telecon yesterday, when I hastily withdrew my
objection to using a stock brokerage/portfolio management example,
for various reasons I don't want to belabor in this message, I got to
thinking about it some more and decided I really don't think that it
is a wise choice after all. I have been banging my head against all
the older scenarios, and was reminded in most of them that there were
problems here and there with most, as well as with my own current
project, building a presentation of WSRP and CAP (Common Alerting
Protocol) from the Emergency Management TC.

One of my concerns was that it would be best to have one example
follow through the tutorials we put into the primer, and that this
example be used for demonstrating the publish, find, bind features in
the Registration Interface, including use of both UDDI and ebXML, in
keeping with our plan to offer real-world examples and code (examples
and code that would work, that is, not the actual Portals or Services
of the example). It must also fit with demonstrations of the Service
Description Interface, Markup Interface and Portlet Management
Interface, all of which it does.

So, while going over the primer thus far and continuing to review the
use cases and scenarios we have dealt with in the process of building
WSRP 1.0 and moving now into issues for 1.1, I decided that I could
offer an alternate example by adapting the "Search UDDI..." scenario
Andre worked up and which is available in the documents section of
the WSRP webpages.

However, before I actually include it in my edit of the current
primer and start asking for assistance in building some sample
portlets and a Portal Design exercise as part of the Markup
Interface, I wanted to share this idea with you all and ask if it
makes sense to you and if you would be willing to use it.

 From our Scenario Form Description: HealthCareConcerns, LLC., is a
Portal development company, specializing in horizontal Medical
Information Resources (Medical Informatics), including a searchable
database of insurance providers, and vertical Medical Supplies
procurement/supply chains. It develops a broad range of
Healthcare-related Portals using domain-specific expertise from
related but unintegrated market segments in order to focus on making
itself a Healthcare Information Clearinghouse.

HealthCareConcerns, ILLC., designs and builds specialized sites for
knowledge-base delivery clients, by integrating domain-specific
Portlets into Portals that service a range of information providers
from specific niche markets to more broadly based Heathcare market
segments, such a Home-based Elderly Care Products and Services or
Maternity-related products and services. It will use UDDI and ebXML
to publish its services and the services of its Portal clients and to
search for new Portlets, based on an initial profile it makes of its
specific clients.

While some of the expertise and knowledge I have developed over the
last several years can be used in this, it is not strictly an
instance of the proof of concept Public Healthcare Preparedness
Portal I am working on. However, I won't say that it doesn't also fit
into other plans I have, but I always try to make any project serve
more than a single purpose if I can.

This scenario also provides what I think is a decent range of the
kinds of Portals and Portlets WSRP can facilitate without either
relying on either well-used examples such as stock market/brokerages
or purchasing orders. Of all the previous scenarios the one I would
have chosen as both simple and fairly straight forward was the memory
configurator, but it has a couple of problems, mostly due to its
being a customization example, which is a bit ahead of 1.0.

Please let me know what you think. I am asking the markup committee,
too since this is probably where I will be asking for samples
regardless of which scenario we choose to follow through with for the
Tutorials.

Ciao,
Rex
--