wsrp-markup message

Subject: Fwd: Re: WSRP and W3C

Title: Fwd: Re: WSRP and W3C
Hi Folks,

I have a typo in the address for this group in the cc: line, so I'm forwarding it.

Rex

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:14:18 -0800
To: Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
Subject: Re: WSRP and W3C
Cc: wsrp-markup@lists.oasis-ope.org, richt@us.ibm.com, karl.best@oasis-open.org, RRugg55041@aol.com, rkthunga@interposting.com
Bcc:

Specifically, I am the chair of the WSRP-Markup Subcommittee as we move toward v1.1 now that v1.0 has been approved as an OASIS standard, and we are including VoiceXML in this next version. That is the context of my request for liaisons, in order to ensure interoperability. Since we have just started work, there are few details. We are working on the particular Markup Rules we will be recommending to the overall Technical Committee for VXML. I am copying the subcommittee with this reply as well as the TC chair, Rich Thompson, and OASIS Management through Karl F. Best.

To date we have decided to recommend the full VXML spec and we have tentatively decided that WSRP Portlets correspond to VXML subdialogs. How to include VXML into WSRP overall, in terms of Markup Rules is starting, so the time is right to ensure we do this correctly. OASIS maintains a policy of keeping the work of its TCs open to public review. The email list archives are open to the public as well as the TC webpages where documents and minutes can be accessed.

As to why voice in particular, it is because VXML is another transport protocol through which WSRP web service portlets can be delivered. For me personally, it is also an important transport for Emergency Management (EM TC) information to be delivered through WSRP to on-scene first responders.

I am also a member of the EM TC and we will soon be moving the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) into "Committee Draft" status for a 30-day public comment period. VXML is not specifically included in CAP in v1.0, but will be in subsequent versions, or perhaps in this version if it is specifically requested during the formal public comment period. (Please Note: I am also co-chair of the HumanMarkup TC, which plays into all of these projects and standards in several ways.)

In a more personal vein, I will be delivering a presentation to a GSA/CIO Council-sponsored workshop seminar in D.C./Arlington (at Main NSF) Dec. 9, on the potential for using the Human Markup Language, (HumanML) in Government IT Directives and I would like to be able to say that an interactive VXML Interface is in the works to use WSRP to deliver CAP and post-CAP information web services in the field. The presentation highlights a proof of concept Public Healthcare Preparedness Portal that uses WSRP, features CAP and employs HumanML in several ways.

Please note that WSRP/WSRP-Markup, HumanMarkup and Emergency Management are separate OASIS Technical Committees.

As you can see, I am focused to a fairly great extent on liaison activities, though WSRP-Markup is a challenge on its own. However, most of my work serves more than a single purpose.

Please let us know how best to proceed from the W3C viewpoint, and we will investigate the prospect from the OASIS viewpoint.

Regards,
Rex Brooks

Hi Rex,

My name is Max Froumentin, and I am the W3C contact for the Multimodal
Interaction Working Group and the Voice Browser Working Group. I was
forwarded your email on "VocieXML for WSRP 1.1" which you sent to Ian
Jacobs and Janet Daly.

I had a look at the WSRP Working Group and I thought it was
interesting and somewhat relevant to our work. I'll forward the
address of the TC page to the WGs.

But I would like to know more, especially about your intentions to use
VoiceXML. In particular why voice in particular? Also, are there more
details available on that particular work, or is it Oasis members
only?

Max.

--

Rex Brooks