wsrp-markup message

Subject: Fwd: Re: WSRP and W3C

Title: Fwd: Re: WSRP and W3C
I included this list in the reply I'm forwarding, but there is a typo in the address.

Ciao,
Rex

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:08:07 -0800
To: Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org>, Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
Subject: Re: WSRP and W3C
Cc: wsrp-markup@lists.oasis-ope.org, richt@us.ibm.com, karl.best@oasis-open.org, RRugg55041@aol.com, rkthunga@interposting.com, ph@w3.org, w3t-archive@w3.org
Bcc:

That seems reasonable to me, although I am not exactly sure how I can focus more on VXML than web services since it is the ws framework that makes it better than a simple VXML connection. That is, the framework assures authentication and permissions for levels of access to information in a specific kind of transaction environment that can be pre-registered and pre-arranged in terms of establishing what kinds of information will be exchanged,  but I think I can construct a scenario/use case that illustrates this without leaning too heavily on web services references per se.

I can give you a heads up about the most likely scenario I will use for a variety of reasons. It will be in the context of Emergency Management Services Delivery. It will necessarily encompass a focused example of an Emergency First Responder in the field using a VXML-enabled handheld wireless device such as a a web-capable cell phone or walkie talkie and the environment described will most likely be an Incident Command System context. While this is a US federal governmental model, it is not untypical worldwide for wildfire emergencies, search and rescure, etc., but it is also the most likely candidate system to be conducive to adoption because it is currently being cast in an XML model, at least that's what I happen to be doing with it as part of the OASIS Emergency Management Technical Committee's Notifications and Messaging Subcommittee.

As you can see, I tend to focus on collaborative endeavors where I can put one of the standards activities I have joined to work within the context of another to create concrete results from interoperability. Unfortunately, having grown up in Southern California, in some of the areas recently ravaged by wildfires, I could probably cite chapter and verse on how such a system could have been employed to greatly reduce the damage just incurred, but that is not germane right now.

If I might ask, where are you located? I will be giving a presentation in the Washington, D.C. area Dec. 9, at the same time as the XML 2003 Conference in Philadelphia, where I will also visit that evening, barring the unforeseen. It might be a help if we could connect in person for a few minutes if we happened to be in same vicinity. I am anything but an expert in VoiceXML concepts, so some idea of where this field is headed would be appreciated, and might help me overcome my own rather myopic, self-interested, concepts about the field.

Thanks,
Rex