wsrp-markup message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-markup] Revised VXML Scenarios

Hello Rex,
you did a good job with these VXML Scenarios.
Unfortunately, I was on a business trip before Christmas and can also not
make it for the call today.
I will do my best to participate on the next one.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen /
                  Have a nice day

                    Walter Hänel
Pervasive Computing - Portal Development
Tel. +49-7031-164523
             Fax +49-7031-164888

|         |           Rex Brooks       |
|         |           <rexb@starbourne.|
|         |           com>             |
|         |           18/12/03 18:57   |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       wsrp-markup@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  [wsrp-markup] Revised VXML Scenarios                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |

Hi Everyone,

I have revised the scenarios per Rich's comments. Again, let me know what
yoy think. If I don't hear further comments I will send this off tomorrow.

Ciao,
Rex

The following business scenario shows a VXML interface to a common Business
use-case envisioned for Version 1.1 of Web Services for Remote Portlets,
WSRP, on which our WSRP-Markup Subcommittee is working. The current
approved standard can be downloaded at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsrp

*     *     *

A Sales Manager will be visiting the regional office of her company in the
Southwestern part of the U.S. During her flight, before a meeting with the
local sales team in the regional office in Albuquerque, New Mexico, she
uses her cell phone to access her account with the Company's Corporate
Portal hosted by the Company HQ in Chicago. Password authentication allows
her to access areas of the corporate portal available to her position.

Using her permissions, she is able to access the most recent figures for
sales in this region, and other regions for comparison, and she can check
to see if the sales figures trends she is going to cite in her meeting are
still moving in the direction her meeting preparations indicated and
whether the rate of change in those directions has increased or decreased.
This information will be provided to her in the VXML format used for the
portlets she needs to access.

She is also able through the cell phone connection to check if there are
any special voice mail messages for her in relation to this meeting, or
other concerns. Thus, the Sales Manager will have the latest figures and
any other incidental information available which bears on the meeting with
her regional sales team.

*     *     *
The first part of the following scenario shows a second WSRP v1.1 scenario
from a social context. It shows how a telephone interface into a WSRP-based
service would work.

*     *     *

Elena S. is a recent immigrant to the U.S., from Guatemala. She has had a
low-grade fever for several days. It is not getting better, and her hands
and feet are swelling. She thinks she may be pregnant, too. Working as a
household domestic, she cannot afford a doctor, and she is not a legal
resident, so she is afraid to seek government assistance.

She sees a notice promising confidential medical help from a local clinic
for recent immigrants in the local Spanish Language Advertiser Newspaper.
It has a telephone number, which she dials, activating the VXML Web Service
Healthcare Clinic Portal Intake Application:

The VXML Web Service app answers and a voice asks her in Spanish if she
wants to speak Spanish. "Si," she replies. The voice then tells her that
any information she gives will be treated confidentially, and then asks her
to speak her name. The voice asks her to repeat her name and then repeats
it back to her saying, "You have said your name is Elena S. Is this
correct?" When Elena answers, "Si," the application continues.

The voice asks her to speak her zip code. The voice then asks a
confirmation question, in Spanish, rendered here in English for this
scenario/use-case example, "Are you in Fairfax Country, Virginia?" She
answers affirmatively, and the intake session continues.

At this point the overall VXML Web Service Healthcare Clinic Portal Intake
Application, asks if she want to make a free or low cost appointment with
the local clinic in her zipcode area. If she answers yes, then the
application switches to an Appointment-Scheduling Portlet.

This portlet is configured to make the appointment, which includes sending
the applicant to a counseling and tutorial session with a local volunteer
counseling service. In this case it is a Church-based service that takes
place in a facility provided by the local parish which the organizers know
will provide a sense of trust and security. If missing, the lack of this
element may well prevent someone such as Elena from using these
interconnected local services.

This portlet is one of several which can be triggered interactively by the
inidviduals who dial into this service. In this case it is important to
have the caller served by a sympathetic and trusted human as the next step.

*     *     *

The remainder of this use-case shows features that are under consideration
for v.2 of the WSRP. This part is not needed for v1.1 but is provided to
show how this specification is expected to develop in future versions.

Elena then visits the drop-in counseling service where Elena meets with
Pablo V. a parishoner volunteer who takes Elena through a two-part process
so that she can use the service unaided in the future. In this case, Pablo
shows Elena how to use a simple computer interface so that she can use one
of the drop-in center's donated computers to send and receive information,
and to make, cancel or reschedule appointments with the Healthcare Clinic.

Pablo shows Elena how to select the service she wants to use from the menu
which is displayed on the computer. In this case, she chooses the
Make/Change Clinic Appointment by clicking on the calendar/clock icon
identified as a medical service by the red cross above the calendar month
and across from a combined clockface & digital timestamp readout. A
calendar and Clock/Timestamp appears with checkboxes across the the top of
the page for various languages, and a voice asks if she wishes to speak
each of the languages listed in turn, crossing out or checking each as
indicated by her responses. Elena responds "Si" to Spanish and the rest of
the session uses Spanish.

The application then asks if she will say her name. Voice recognition
software, if available to this application, verifies her identity. Pablo
then takes her through the remainder of the intake process, giving her
address, employment, etc. All of these data items is displayed visually as
well as being processed by VXML to reinforce the association of the
information requested and the visual representation. This will include the
basic symptomology followed by a confirmation of the date and time of the
appointment made for her.

The process will end with the printing of a map showing the clinic's
location with directions for her to locate and travel to the clinic. This
mapping service is a separate portlet, which demonstrates why the
Portal-Portlet relationship is necessary to the VXML application. There
will also be portlets for other informational purposes, so that the
individual may be able to learn more about their conditions, where further
services may be available,

It is important to understand that the portal is set up so that it can
gather and record information from the individual for use by clinic staff
to better serve the individual. So, it is also necessary for the VXML
Fragment Rules to be capable of receiving information as well as
distributing it.

--

Rex Brooks
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com