wsrp-pfb message

Subject: Re: [wsrp-pfb] New draft of specification section

Hi Alan,

here are some comments:

1.1.1.1
why should the producer name be unique?
I think the name is not an identifier per se. It would also contradict the
statement that it is localized.
In my opinion the name in general will be used to find a producer by what
ever notion. So the name (and especially if it is localized) should be a
human readable descriptive name.
The producer is being identified by the wsdl url and/or by the access
points (as wsrp is currently defined, since we don't have any producer-id
in the service decription).

1.2.1.1
The same as above for portlet names. However here it makes more sense to
make them distinguishable (like producer offers various flavours of "Stock
Quote Portlet", it would certainly name them different anyways).
However I could imagine here that people would like to map
PortletDescription.title or .shortTitle or even .displayName to the
registry "name" field since these seem to map well here for me.
And since we do not mention this uniqueness in the wsrp spec, we shouldn't
do that here either.
I would even go further and recommend to map one of the fileds above to
"name".
Again like in the above case I don't think that the name is an identifier
for a portlet, it's the portlet handle in the scope of the producer.

Also I wouldn't recommend to use the portlet handle as the name. The same
argument here: localized names should be humen readable and usable, say for
search and display.
The portlet handle is a machine readable thing (in most cases at least)
which should be "hidden" from the end-user (and thus stored somewhere else)
The user is interested to get this "funky music" portlet on his page rather
then "fnkmsc.0424543232" :-)

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

|         |           "Kropp, Alan"    |
|         |           <Alan.Kropp@vigne|
|         |           tte.com>         |
|         |           11/01/2003 11:12 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       wsrp-pfb@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  [wsrp-pfb] New draft of specification section                                                                                    |

I've filled out the Portlet section of this draft, and made some minor
changes to the Producer section.

We can plan to discuss this during Tuesday's telecon.

Alan

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrp-pfb/members/leave_workgroup.php
.

#### publish3.doc has been removed from this note on November 03 2003 by
Richard Jacob