wsrp-webservice message

Subject: SOAP Attachments vs. inline Base 64 Encoding

Andre asked me to forward this to the SC

Attached is some analysis I did on Base 64 encoding versus binary SOAP Attachments back in February 2002. Timings were taken for the processing of a HTTP/SOAP message carrying markup of varying sizes using both base 64 encoding and MIME attachments. The total time required to process a message and extract its markup (yellow) was split into the time required to parse the SOAP message carrying the markup (black) and the time to do any remaining processing to extract the markup (pink). Basically you see a much steeper increase in both timings for base 64 encoding compared with MIME attachments which seem much 'flatter'.

I could donate my JavaMail-based test code if you want to run more extensive tests.

Regards

David
--

David Ward