wsrp-webservice message

Subject: [wsrp-webservice] WSDL SC minutes 10/2/2005

Title: [wsrp-webservice] WSDL SC minutes 10/2/2005

WSDL testing was discussed by the SC after the TC call: We have been testing two variants of 1.0 to re-check workarounds and 2 draft revisions for WSRP 2.0. Apart from some Visual Studio (IDE) import issues, the only problems seen are with the Axis 1.2 release candidate (reported by Clinton).

We do need more testing (see new baseline below). In particular, Andre is to query Atul about JAX-RPC.

However, as touched upon in the main TC call, we have still to resolve the schema versioning strategy for WSRP 2.0:

We basically have two strategies already suggested and partly discussed: version everything (use a new namespace) or version only what has changed (using schema extension, as seems to be now supported by major tools).

Subbu noted that we need time to gather feedback and research best practice.

Andre raised the possibility of identifying protocol version independent types (e.g. user profiles) that could be shared between protocol versions or can be versioned independent of 1.0/2.0 and breaking these out. However, this did not gain any momentum.

Instead, we agreed to go forward with both strategies (rev namespace v.s. extend in new namespace) so as to allow people to evaluate both. Rich will produce these for the next protocol draft [currently we only have the use new namespace for everything the other approach is more work to produce and as Rich is its champion ]. This will allow us to check (a) tool support (b) usability (c) levels of re-use gained.

Andre is to fold the 1.0 work-around we re-checked into these two 2.0 draft schema candidates so that we have a new baseline for testing and a..c eval.

Regards,

Andre