Subject: [wsrp-wsia] RE: [wsrp-interfaces] [wsrp][interfaces][Fwd:Possibilities for supporting load balanced Producers]

Hi Jeff,

thank you for your comments; I've updated the paper to reflect them.

Regarding this comment -

"There is no verbage about how portlets need to be constructed with this
new world in mind, for example the markup generated must be more flexible,
to allow for the rewriting by the consumer/producer.  So, I think it would
be fair to give the impression in this paper that portlets are NOT
immediately or automatically consumable in this new structure."

of course it wouldn't work if the logic for URL generation would be part of
portlets, portlets need to use methods of the portlet API to let the portal
create the full URLs for the local portlet case or the URL rewriting
markers if a portlet shall be exposed as a WSRP service.

Portlets written to the JSR 168 will (as already today IBM portlets and as
I assume portlets by other vendors do) use JSP tags to encapsulate relative
URLs to be rewritten. Therefore a portal can have two strategies for URL
rewriting being used by those JSP tags, one for use as a local portlet and
one for use as a WSRP services. It is just a matter of providing the right
level of abstraction for the API portlets are written two.

What do you mean with this comment: "IMHO, I think we need to scope more of
the conversation in the context of consumers and producers." ?

Regarding the questions about "why not deregisterConsumer(), performAction
(), ..." - I just sticked to the method names the TC has agreed to.

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Schaeck
Architect WebSphere Portal Server, STSM
IBM Pervasive Computing Division
Phone: +49-(0)7031-16-3479   Mobile: +49-(0)171-6928407   e-mail:
schaeck@de.ibm.com   Fax: +49-(0)7031-16-4888
Address: IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH, Schoenaicher Str. 220, 71032
Boeblingen, Germany

Jeff Broberg <jbroberg@silverstream.com> on 08/05/2002 09:45:04 PM

Please respond to jbroberg@silverstream.com

To:    Thomas Schaeck/Germany/IBM@IBMDE, wsrp-wsia
       <wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>, interfaces
       <wsrp-interfaces@lists.oasis-open.org>, Rich
       Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc:
Subject:    RE: [wsrp-interfaces] [wsrp][interfaces][Fwd: Possibilities for
       supporting load balanced Producers]

thomas, nice start, i turned on change tracking and put in some comments.

jeff