Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#97] Caching Mechanism

Carsten,

I definitely agree - a full algorithm would be complicated. But what Yossi
suggested is, in essence, a very simple approach to this problem that will
solve 90% of the "scoping" of the cache entries issues. It's a good first
approach.

I propose going through with it. I can easily add something to my proposal.

Gil

-----Original Message-----
From: Carsten Leue [mailto:CLEUE@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Tue, September 24, 2002 18:22
To: Tamari, Yossi
Cc: Gil Tayar; 'Rex Brooks'; wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

Yossi - I completely agree that for an optimal performance there must be a
way for the producer to generate a cache key from all the input parameters
and to let the consumer know how this key was generated. This way the
consumer can determin when to request new markup or when to use the cached
one.
Hoewever a definition of such a key generation algorithm will be quite
difficult and I wonder if we can agree upon one in v1.0 of the spec.
The current proposal by Gil would correspond to a key generation algorithm
that uses the full input space for the key. So it does not need to
explicitly pass this key but can imply it. Of course this is not as
efficient as it could be (the cache size will be to large), but it is a
first step in the right direction ;-)

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           "Tamari, Yossi"  |
|         |           <yossi.tamari@sap|
|         |           .com>            |
|         |           09/24/2002 04:08 |

----------------------------------------------------|

<Gil.Tayar@webcollage.com>, wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org    |
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#97] Caching Mechanism

Hi Rex,

I'm still unclear as to what you mean. The caching we are talking about
here is done by the consumer, not the producer. This means the portal is
caching pages for its users. This is already done today by most (if not
all) portals). We are not discussing caching by the producer. We do not
need to put it in the spec, but I don't see any way to prevent producers
from persisting personal user information (whether I like it or not).

    Yossi.